Weed Question

Texasmark

We have had rain for a couple of days, every day for about 3 months. Having never seen this weed before there is an explosion of a weed that looks a lot like Poison Sumac, tiny white flowers in a round cluster, each blossom with an individual stem reducing to a thin stalk for a cluster of a dozen flowers, stalk roughly 24" long, with half a dozen of these per a root that looks like a white carrot. Anybody have any idea of what it is.....if I was smarter with today's gadgets I would accompany a picture but I gave up on thinking back in 2005 when I retired.
Thanks

It sounds like Poison Hemlock, the plant is spreading everywhere, can be killed by 2-4D or Roundup. Kill it before it seeds or it will spread everywhere you can't or don't mow.
Screenshot_20240523_193623_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240523_193623_Chrome.jpg

Ok folks now I have a name I can check on packages of weed killer and Miner thanks for the tip on Grazon. I bought Grazon P+D back when I started improving a pasture and had an Applicator's license....in 2.5 gallon (as I recall) jugs. A lot of herbicides are available to the average person in the Quart container. Will look for some Grazon in the quart.

Thank you all very much.
Mark

Ok folks now I have a name I can check on packages of weed killer and Miner thanks for the tip on Grazon. I bought Grazon P+D back when I started improving a pasture and had an Applicator's license....in 2.5 gallon (as I recall) jugs. A lot of herbicides are available to the average person in the Quart container. Will look for some Grazon in the quart.

Thank you all very much.
Mark
I had a bunch in my field and it is hard to kill. I used "Cimmaron" which is granules that come in what looks like a big pill bottle. Dosage is around 1/8 ounce / 40 gallons (measuring cup comes with it). Sprayed last fall and it did kill all of them. It's also a pre-emergent. Safe for hay and grazing (follow instruction) and says not to use more than one a year.

Grazon is limited in Tx. Cimmaron isn't. In reading the www writeup Queen Anns Lace isn't mentioned but "Wild Carrot" is. Since this has a carrot root, may apply anyway. Also it doesn't have any restrictions on using on hay crops or other animal injested crops.

May give that a try....must be hot when you look at 0.125 Oz. per acre application rate.
Thanks.

Poison hemlock and Queen Annes lace look similar but PH gets taller (6" or more) and has a purple stem. IT IS BAD STUFF. Spray in early spring or in OCT or NOV per UK's info. If you spray now it is hard to kill- I have used Crossbow in early summer. Each plant makes 10,000 or 100,000 seeds. Mark.

Poison hemlock and Queen Annes lace look similar but PH gets taller (6" or more) and has a purple stem. IT IS BAD STUFF. Spray in early spring or in OCT or NOV per UK's info. If you spray now it is hard to kill- I have used Crossbow in early summer. Each plant makes 10,000 or 100,000 seeds. Mark.
Also Hemlock has no hair on stems or leaves, Queen Ann's Lace does. also most QAL has a single purple micro blossom in the center of the bloom, and a star shaped flat bract under the bloom. Jim

My Queen Anne's is easily spotted as it is only a couple of feet tall, matured. What gets me is that I have owned this farm since 1978 and never saw any and this year it is everywhere, I mean everywhere......well there hasn't been any growing out of my bed!

This has been an unusually wet spring and that is the only thing that may have triggered it but where did the seeds come from.....When I built my shop I built it on deep pit sand-clay mix and built it in 2005. I have them growing all around in that soil. It being deep pit and never having had the weed before, again, where did the seeds come from.....the wind blew them in????? From where? Never saw the weed anywhere around her for miles.........

My Queen Anne's is easily spotted as it is only a couple of feet tall, matured. What gets me is that I have owned this farm since 1978 and never saw any and this year it is everywhere, I mean everywhere......well there hasn't been any growing out of my bed!

This has been an unusually wet spring and that is the only thing that may have triggered it but where did the seeds come from.....When I built my shop I built it on deep pit sand-clay mix and built it in 2005. I have them growing all around in that soil. It being deep pit and never having had the weed before, again, where did the seeds come from.....the wind blew them in????? From where? Never saw the weed anywhere around her for miles.........
Where was the dirt-moving equipment before it came to your place to move dirt? Almost all new infestations like that came in on equipment. steve

Texas has more than its share of violent wind. Seeds can be wind harvested and deposited miles away. The seeds are small and very light. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back