Weedeater lawn tractor transmission problem

I have a 1995 Weedeater lawn tractor with a 12.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine and a 36" deck. I do not use it much any more, but it has served well for an inexpensive riding lawn mower. I drove it may be a quarter of a mile a few weeks ago. Then today I went to move it, and it started fine. However, when I put it in gear, it would not move. The belt from the engine to the transmission looks fine and is tight. Any ideas was to source of the problem? What would make a transmission go bad from sitting? And are parts available? If so where? Thanks in advance. Larry Hardesty
 
Check to make sure all pullys are turning free and that clutch is working with nothing unhooked.Jack rear of mower and check if wheels turn with axel.Good Luck'
 
The pulleys are all turning, the wheels turn on the axle, and I do not see anything unhooked or any belt off the pulleys. If I jack it up (take out the spark plug) and turn the pulleys by hand, the wheels move. However, when running and I put in gear, nothing. Color me puzzled.
 
Is this an "Automatic" trans? If so the parts to rebuild this CHEAP/ VERY LIGHT DUTY HYDRO cost more than a new replacement trans.

Kent
 
It is a six speed standard transmission. I have not looked to see who made the transmission. It is a cheap lawn tractor I purchased used 14 years ago. However, my wife likes to mow with it occasionally, and I hate to just toss it.
 
I checked and found the model number and serial number: The Model is WE1236; Serial Number is 0523948 004616

Made by American Yard Products

On the tranaxle is a sticker tag. It says "Spicer 4360-09 142603 05-02-94" I suppose the last is the manufacturing date of May 2, 1994. Transaxle does not look too hard to get off, but don't know if individual parts are available for it not. I suppose after 16 years, the Briggs and Stratton engine probably i not the best either, although does not use oil. Does seem a bit noisy when starting up or quiting.

Any advice appreciated.
 
Jack up tractor & pull both rear wheels,check that shaft key that connects wheel hub/rim to axle not sheared or missing on both wheels,if one key sheared or missing tractor will not move,if one key sheared,with tractor on jack & wheels off ground & turning trans input pulley a sheared key may hold with friction when no weight/load on wheels,but when on ground & loaded shaft may be spinning in wheel hub/rim.
 
Joe, You win the prize..at least so far. I took the left back wheel off and no pin. There is one on the right side. Looked around to where I stopped the mower, but no pin. Still, a $3 or so item versus new transmission/differential.

Don"t know how the pin got out since there is a washer and a snap ring to hold wheel on and pin in. I suppose if broke and headed in, it could have gotten out that way.

Thanks much.

Larry
 
Glad you found problem,double check keyways in hub/rim & shaft,if either worn/sloppy,it may happen again, replace key & hopefully it will cure all your problems.
 
The manual gear type are cheaper to fix. Did you by chance remove a rear wheel to fix a flat tire just before the trans quit working? If so look for a missing key between the axle and the wheel rim.

Kent
 
I did put in longer keys on both sides. They seemed to fit pretty snug. First time it has happened in the 14 years I have owned the mower. I mowed with it about an hour this evening, and it is working fine. Thank

Larry
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top