Weld and recut brake drums?

My tractors brake drums are rusted and pitted bad from sitting with water in them, all before I got ahold of the tractor. The drums cant really be found new, also I don’t want to quickly ruin the very expensive shoes in short order due to the pitting etc. Im thinking if welding a new surface on the wear face, then machining it back ti a smooth surface. Anyone done this? Thoughts?
So, it's been about 2 weeks. What pathway did you choose?

There is one used drum for $200 from Tractor parts asap.

This is the first time I have seen anyone considering welding cast iron where the consensus was not "forget it, cast iron will crack"

My tractors brake drums are rusted and pitted bad from sitting with water in them, all before I got ahold of the tractor. The drums cant really be found new, also I don’t want to quickly ruin the very expensive shoes in short order due to the pitting etc. Im thinking if welding a new surface on the wear face, then machining it back ti a smooth surface. Anyone done this? Thoughts?
And the final answer is??

And the final answer is??
Capture.JPG

Jim, I'm not sure what you're saying. I could start a conversation with him but I thought that, since a lot of people stepped up to help, they might like to know what Chainsaw decided to do.
Just saying it appears he has not been back since Jan. 24 so likely hasn't seen your post yet, hopefully he is just busy and hasn't gotten to it. If he didn't sign in to show he was here and saw it, he didn't choose to reply. It would be interesting to know how he made out, but how often does feedback of results not occur for one reason or another. If he doesn't sign in, I don't think he would see a conversation alert.

Just saying it appears he has not been back since Jan. 24 so likely hasn't seen your post yet, hopefully he is just busy and hasn't gotten to it. If he didn't sign in to show he was here and saw it, he didn't choose to reply. It would be interesting to know how he made out, but how often does feedback of results not occur for one reason or another. If he doesn't sign in, I don't think he would see a conversation alert.
Good point.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back