International 350 Utility Brake Housing Resurfacing

I’m replacing the brakes on my 350 Utility (working tractor). The braking surface inside the right-side brake housing (part # 358046R2) is rather badly rusted, and it’s pitted just enough that I’m afraid it may trash the new brake disc.

I’d like to get it turned to clean up the braking surface, with an equal amount removed from the facing where the housing meets the hub/rear frame. But none of the many, many machinists here in west Michigan seem to have a clue as to how to do it; even NAPA’s on-site machinists struck out today. I understand the confusion – after all, it’s quite a bit different from an automotive drum or rotor – but, still…!

As I see it, these are my options:

1 – Continue to look for a machinist while the tractor sits (and as the winter snows get bigger and bigger in the windshield).

2 – Hit the braking surface with a little lacquer thinner and a light hand sanding. (Sacrifice a brake disc, maybe, but at $15 or so it’s cheaper than finding – not to mention paying – a machinist, and maybe the disc will wear the housing reasonably smooth.)

3 – Hit the braking surface with a light sandblasting, hopefully dulling any sharp pit edges. This will leave the surface slightly rough and be a little hard on the disc, but again the disc may wear the housing smooth over time.

4 – Cannibalize the 300 Utility in the garage for a brake housing (same part number), provided that part turns out to be in better shape. The 300 is “down” long term anyway for a complete re-do, so that would give me a lot more time to find an adventurous machinist – but it may be a waste of money if Option 2 or Option 3 (above) is adequate.

5 – Get a used housing from the tractor boneyard, eBay, etc. (But I think Option 4 is better for now, if it comes to a choice between 4 and 5.)

Any opinions, or any additional options?

Thanks in advance.

Mark W. in MI

When I had to resurface the housings for the brakes on my 560W I put them in a lathe. I took a little off both the inner and outer housing, as well as smooting out the expander as well. Otherwise if your in rush to get it working Id say just use the one of the 300 for now.

Wheatielookingliketractoragain2027.jpg

Wheatielookingliketractoragain2006.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back