Welder Problem Part 5

DRussell

Good news first. I went and purchased another multimeter that will test diodes. I tested all four diodes and on all four I get current in one direction only. Readings range from 470 on the lowest to 477
on the highest. On two I get readings with the red lead on the diode and the black lead on the tail. On the other two I get readings with the red lead on the tail and the black lead on the diode. In the
opposite direction for each diode there is no reading on the multimeter.

The bad news. While working on it I discovered the item (safety capacitor?) in the picture below laying in the bottom of the diode bridge. The numbers on it are V150R-6. It appears that the solders broke
connecting the capacitor to the jumper wire and I need to solder it back on. The capacitor does not appear to be burnt or damaged.

The diode bridge on this welder consists of four metal aluminum angles electrically insulated from each other. The welder fan is mounted in middle of the angles. I've drawn a picture of how the diodes are
mounted and tried to label things on it. There is a jumper wire (probably 14 or 16 AWG size) that runs from the plate that diode 2 is mounted to over to the bolt connector that the diode tails of the number
3 and 4 diodes are connected to. This capacitor appears to have been soldered from the jumper wire to the metal plate for diode 2.

From the diagram, diodes 1 and 2 are electrically connected via a metal strap. The tails for diodes 1 and 2 connect to the plates that diodes 3 and 4 are connected to. The tails for diodes 3 and 4 connect
to a common connector that then goes to the welder DC negative lead. The two wires that broke are the two wires labeled as wires to bottom transformer. These wires are connected to the metal plate where
diode 4 is mounted as well as the tail for diode 1.

I hope this makes sense.

I am thinking the jumper wire running from the diode 2 metal plate over to the common connector for the tails of diodes 3 and 4 with the capacitor is a safety mechanism.

cvphoto111776.jpg

cvphoto111778.jpg

Your safety capacitor is a MOV, a metal oxide varistor, a voltage spike suppressor.

It's either shorted or perhaps had it's leads burned off by the other carnage that happened.

It should test open with an Ohmmeter, but is supposed to short and crowbar voltage spikes above it's ratting (presumably 150 Volts).
MOVs at DigiKey

Wore Out, Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if the leads burned off by the other carnage or if I bumped it while removing some of the diodes and knocked it off. I think I remember brushing against it with the back of my hand at one point and bending it. I soldered it back in place. See my next post for the final outcome...Welder Problem Part 6.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back