welders flash/arc eye

Do any of you guys know how long it takes for welders flash to take effect? i looked at the arc at about 3:00, it is now 9:00. it doesnt feel like sand yet, but thier is pain but it comes in pulses. some light sensitivity. What does it feel like? do i have it? how long does it last? any help. thank you,,, caleb
 
Depends how bad. A little flash is no big deal. If it's dark out and your pupils are dilated, it can be pretty severe.
 
i was welding with the helmet down and when i finished i pulled the helmet and when i went to shut the welder off i bumped my arm and it struck a bright arc, and i stared right at it for about 1 second.
 
Take a potato slice it about 3/8 thick lay down and put them on your eyes. Sooner the better. I know it sounds stupid but it works.
 
It took 3 hours for my eyes to start seeing pink walls in my house. (my walls are white) Then, it was the funny sand feeling, and I was a little nauseous too. By 5 hours after the fact, I went to bed, and the next day they were a little sore, but it came back normal.

This was one flash at approximately 140 amps and 6013 rod.

Someone told me to use peeled potatoes and rest them on my eyeball.
 
The best thing I found for this is called "Lacri-lube" it"s an eye ointment you can get in about any drug store, worked good for me, very fast relief..
 
That short a time probably no problem. Most of the time if you did burn your eyes you will not begin to feel it till you go to bed and then you will find you can't open your eyes or close them because of the pain BTDT to many times. Potatoes do not work. Back when I was welding for a living I had it happen a few times and its no fun. I had it so bad I had to go to the E.R. ad they would put some drops in my eyes and put patches over them and send me home. But as I said I did it for a living in a big shop so it was easy to get flashed a lot but 1-3 seconds you probably will have no problems
Hobby farm
 
After six hours, I doubt if it will get much worse.

Some old timers once laid me across a tailgate and poured milk in my eyes. They swore by it. I've only had it a two or three times, so I can't tell for sure how much it helped. You never really know how bad you have been burned until it starts hurting.

All I know is that if two or more guys are welding in a shiney dragline or shovel bucket long enough, Somebody is going to get it. It's like welding in a hall of mirrors.
 
I had flash burn pretty bad once when I was about 16, I laid on a bench for 6 hours with potato slices over my eyes and a pair of sunglasses. It hurt like hell and I'll never do that again!
 
UV burn to the eyes. You are closer to having cataracts then were were before the flash. See a physician and get a full written report made and keep it on hand.
 
I dont think you have to worry about a second or 2,but it adds up in a day.I put slices of potatoes over my eyes,and after that didnt work bought a quart of Vodka mixed it with orange juice,drink until you pass out.Usually when you wake up the next day sometime the hangover will make you forget about the eye burn a little.
 
Different strokes for different folks on the bad flashes and you have read the methods to care for it. As for those little flashes that you get. I have found out for me that after a flash I focus my eyes away off in the distance and they seem to come back quicker. ohfred
 
I used to do interior sheetmetal in Stockcars, and shoot tacks without a mask by just closing my eyes. I'd shoot 200, 300 tack welds with a mig this way. What a fool I was! Aside from facial peeling and huge chunks of fried skin that fell from my scalp back then, my night vision today (20 years later) is horriffic- low light vision poor as well. I attribute all of this to my stupidity in my youth.
Back then, I applied frozen Coors light cans to my eyeballs- when they became unfrozen, I drank 'em down with 4 or 5 of the big ol' hard white Tylenol's. I repeated as necessary until I could go back to work the next morning.
I advise none of this- neither my welding technique or the alledged cure- and I thank God every day from auto darkening helmets and the little vision i have left.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top