welding, what happened?

SDE

I had two, three inch pieces of angle iron in a vertical position. I welded a third piece ac-crossed the top, with the flat surface up. There was a gap thAT i HAD TO FILL IN. wHEN i FLIPPED IT OVER TO WELD THE INSIDE OF THE JOINT, I got to the section where the gap had been and the weld went from a normal orange to a dazzling bright white. After I finished I noticed that my vision isn't quite right. Was it the rod or was it something about welding the backside of the other weld?
TY
SDE

I had not thought of that. Good to know so that I can avoid that happening again.
TY
SDE

Never tried one. Got a 'wide vision' unit from the late 60's, that tips in a millisecond. Used it on Heliarc aluminum welding for years - NO flashes.

Check your welding helmet out and see how many sensors it has. My older ones only had one located under the viewing window. IF you where looking over something you often blocked the sensor and would get flashed. My newer helmets have sensors top and bottom. Making it hard to block the sensors. So you rarely get flashed.

yea you got flashed I never did get along with those auto helmets,still use regular big window unit, they do not like cold weather.

I doubt it was the sensors. Sounds to me like you were using a light shade and the just welded metal (actually different metal cause it was just the rod) went in to a white heat. You don't normally see a white heat when welding. That's a forge welding heat. Lower your amps next time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back