What to seal with?

Don B.

Working on an 85 dodge D150
Right now I'm adding factory ac with new parts where needed, and donor parts from other trucks in between. Also converting from an automatic to a 4 on the floor.
I have the dash out, to swap to an ac version.
Anyway when I first got it home it had a water leak down the cowl on the inside of the cab., Driver side. Also pulled the windshield.
And it was upon pulling the windshield I think I found my source. Did I?
mvphoto105118.jpg

My question is about the vertical seam there immediately next to the inner edge of the top of the fender, at the bottom of the windshield channel. I believe that was where my water leak source was. In other places in the cab, the seam sealer was rock hard and falling off in chunks.
I know that would have to be replaced. Would I seal that up with the same seam sealer I'd use a long the inside corner between the cowl and firewall?
I plan on getting the cab the rest of the way anyway and a complete total repaint. I have 1 door and 1 rocker panel to replace. ( Crinkled not due to rust) [/img:fdb5e781f9]

I had typed " gutting" the cab and stupid autocorrect thinks it knows better than me, and changed it to "getting" the cab. Sorry for that.

Well, I would use 3M8609 windshield install urethane.
It is called window weld super fast urethane, The price has tripled since I started using it. I store the unused in freezer till next project.

Couple of things
It's been suggested to weld up that gap. I've seen some of these trucks that have cracks in the cowl behind where the fenders, in the newest of these trucks they actually had a service bulletin (possibly a recall back then) where they had made some reinforcement plates to beef up the cabs in that spot,, they were putting them in place with some kind of 3m adhesive and rivets, but they are discontinued. I haven't pulled the fenders off this one yet. But my previous 83 3/4 ton very much like this one was definitely cracked there, we saw that one when we dismantled it, I never knew it the whole time I drove that truck. That one was overloaded and worked hard by both the past owner and me.
This one is a 1/2 ton with a slant 6 that I'm redoing as more of a "cruiser".
We have a Western rust free cab and bed here for the 83. What do the ones here that know more about actual body work say about welding that seam that I pointed out, and then filling with seam sealer on top of that?
I do plan on taking the fenders off to further inspect this cab anyway and I'm thinking of making some reinforcements out of sheet metal and bending them to match as those factory reinforcement plates were and those id definitely weld in.

Working on an 85 dodge D150
Right now I'm adding factory ac with new parts where needed, and donor parts from other trucks in between. Also converting from an automatic to a 4 on the floor.
I have the dash out, to swap to an ac version.
Anyway when I first got it home it had a water leak down the cowl on the inside of the cab., Driver side. Also pulled the windshield.
And it was upon pulling the windshield I think I found my source. Did I?
mvphoto105118.jpg
the
My question is about the vertical seam there immediately next to the inner edge of the top of the fender, at the bottom of the windshield channel. I believe that was where my water leak source was. In other places in the cab, the seam sealer was rock hard and falling off in chunks.
I know that would have to be replaced. Would I seal that up with the same seam sealer I'd use a long the inside corner between the cowl and firewall?
I plan on getting the cab the rest of the way anyway and a complete total repaint. I have 1 door and 1 rocker panel to replace. ( Crinkled not due to rust) [/img:fdb5e781f9]
Late answer, but I'd pull fender deciding. If it looks as I'd expect it would get a patch of 16ga metal and mig weld in place, followed by seam sealer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back