Wet corn in bin update

tomstractorsandtoys

Last Saturday night I posted about putting 3 wagon loads of 21-22% moisture corn in my 21 ft grain bin with a floor and fan but no heat. I just checked it with the tester and get 14-15.5% moisture. Ran the fan day and night with daytime temps in the 80's. On Monday morning I tried to stir it by walking on it and had to stomp my feet to even go in 3 inches. Each day it got better and now it has that dry corn raddle when you walk in it and you can sink in about a foot. Tom

Not that I would know....

But everything I have ever read from research universities says it is better to harvest beans and corn wet at about 20 to 25% and pay to dry it in the bins rather than waiting for it to dry in the field.
Then again just about every farmer you talk to is fretting over trying to get their corn and beans dry enough in the field so they do not have to pay drying charges.

Go figure.

Not the same up north as in south Louisiana here if it stays too long in the field the humidity and wet weather will cause damage to the bean/kernel.I noticed up north beans can stay unharvested much longer

A lot depends on if you are doing your own drying, or getting an elevator to do it. Their drying charges (plus shrink) are close to robbery.

Tom you should be ok with the moisture but I would suggest if you were going to keep it for awhile to draw it out and put it back in if possible to really stir it up. Will cut out any mold issues and mix the drier corn there with some that has moisture still. A little aggravating but it helps.

Takes a long time to get down to 20. With our fall lake effect, waiting for 20% usually means spending the rest of the winter battling snow, mud, and praying for a freeze.

A lot different than here in central Kansas! A few weeks ago I was hauling loads to the elevator straight out of the field at 12-13%.

Should be OK but keep the air to it on warm dry days and monitor the moisture level with a probe. Stored corn can sometimes pick up moisture.

Ben

(quoted from post at 12:56:48 10/03/21) A lot different than here in central Kansas! A few weeks ago I was hauling loads to the elevator straight out of the field at 12-13%.
I know what youre talking about. Ive been running 11-12% out of the field. I got caught caught by a pop up thunderstorm downpour with a wagon on the way to the elevator. That load tested 14.3 and 60lbs...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back