What do you know about railroads

jon f mn

Well-known Member
A railroad runs on the west side of my property. This spring I have this.

20240429_062126.jpg


Walked out to check the cause and found the culvert under the tracks is plugged. They drove some pieces of track into the bank, likely for erosion control, and they drove one right through the culvert. Now it's plugged and flooding my place. It's the BNSF railway. Who would I call to get this fixed?
 
I used to have a railroad on my property for about 3/4 of a mile, now it's a bike path and people think it open range. Wish the RR was back. 25 years ago when my crossing needed work they had a depot in town where I got ahold of the correct people. Probably no depots today.
 
Good luck. We have a BNSF culvert at work that is collapsed under a spur that enters our property and they won't fix it. Since BNSF discovered it is on their right of way and their responsibility, they stopped answering my emails and phone calls.
 
A railroad runs on the west side of my property. This spring I have this.

View attachment 69007

Walked out to check the cause and found the culvert under the tracks is plugged. They drove some pieces of track into the bank, likely for erosion control, and they drove one right through the culvert. Now it's plugged and flooding my place. It's the BNSF railway. Who would I call to get this fixed?
Get a hold of BN & tell them to get their donkey out there. Not only is it flooding your land, it could have negative repercussions on their right-of-way. That could make a bigger mess for the both of you.

Mike
 
If it were me, I'd spent a little money right away and have a lawyer send a letter complete with photos of the blockage and resulting flooding and not only send it to the BNSF legal department but to the local water board as well. That way you have begun to establish a undeniable paper trail that can be used in court later if legal action is necessary. A phone call may or may not produce results, and if the later, offers little undeniable proof that you tried to alert them to the situation. Alerting the BNSF legal department and the water board will gain the attention of the powers that be faster than waiting for a phone message to wind it's way through to someone empowered to correct the situation.
 
I wouldn't hold much hope of BNSF doing anything about it. Big corporation gets hundreds of "crank" calls a day regardless of anything else. You'll be best served going the "legal" route recommended by @NoDakInMN

If you want it unplugged contact that "post10" guy on youtube. He'll come and film a video of clearing the culvert with nothing but a pair of hip waders and a potato fork.
 
If it were me, I'd spent a little money right away and have a lawyer send a letter complete with photos of the blockage and resulting flooding and not only send it to the BNSF legal department but to the local water board as well. That way you have begun to establish an undeniable paper trail that can be used in court later if legal action is necessary. A phone call may or may not produce results, and if the later, offers little undeniable proof that you tried to alert them to the situation. Alerting the BNSF legal department and the water board will gain the attention of the powers that be faster than waiting for a phone message to wind it's way through to someone empowered to correct the situation.
My 2 cents as well, if you have local/county water boards where you are at in MN I would get them involved.
 
A railroad runs on the west side of my property. This spring I have this.

View attachment 69007

Walked out to check the cause and found the culvert under the tracks is plugged. They drove some pieces of track into the bank, likely for erosion control, and they drove one right through the culvert. Now it's plugged and flooding my place. It's the BNSF railway. Who would I call to get this fixed?
BNSF doesn't have many lines north east of the cities. One to Duluth, one from Duluth to Staples and then the one from the cities up to Crookston. The railroad likes it if you go through the proper channels, but I dealt with them for many years and had best results going to the closest yard, and working from the bottom up. The Track Master is who your looking for. I think there's a yard in Little Falls yet and Staples. You can call the number that is posted on the crossing arm control boxes and give them the MP number (mile post) of the closest one to you. Someone in you county highway department will also know how to get a hold of them as well. If you can deal with the local TM you'll get better results. Threatening a rail road or using attorneys 1st go around will do nothing but set you back, they don't respond well to that. I was told once they have more attorneys than rail cars.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HFJ
A railroad runs on the west side of my property. This spring I have this.

View attachment 69007

Walked out to check the cause and found the culvert under the tracks is plugged. They drove some pieces of track into the bank, likely for erosion control, and they drove one right through the culvert. Now it's plugged and flooding my place. It's the BNSF railway. Who would I call to get this fixed?
I know this might sound a little too aggressive, but a couple of sticks of dino will clear that out. Bet you could find a couple of rednecks at the local bar who would love the challenge and it wouldn't cost more than a case of their favorite beer.;)
 
Last edited:
A railroad runs on the west side of my property. This spring I have this.

View attachment 69007

Walked out to check the cause and found the culvert under the tracks is plugged. They drove some pieces of track into the bank, likely for erosion control, and they drove one right through the culvert. Now it's plugged and flooding my place. It's the BNSF railway. Who would I call to get this fixed?
Contact your state DOT railroad division or similar. They will get action!
Roger
 
Doing anything "yourself" to a railroad right of way may get you a trip to GITMO ;)
Oh, I don't know about that. A local BTO has a 1/4 of land borders the RR, is terraced and HAD a waterway that paralleled the RR that had all been in there for probably 50+ years. I guess he decided he needed a few more feet of farm ground, so he cut thru the RR right-of-way dumping all the terraces into the ditch right next to the track. As could be predicted by a kindergartener, the first big rain started washing a huge ditch parallel to and right next to the track. So..... what happens, the RR hauls tons and tons of rip-rap in and lines the wash out with it to supposedly stop the erosion. Now everybody seems to be happy. In my purely personal unbiased opinion, I think the farmer should have gone to jail, or at the least had to have the waterway re-established and the terraces rebuilt, which had all been built with gov't assistance. Oh, just a side bar; this farmer has done other ridiculous things on rented property, without the owners knowledge or permission like removing trees, fences and even cattle guards on oil field entrances. I guess the old saying "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" holds true.
 
Oh, I don't know about that. A local BTO has a 1/4 of land borders the RR, is terraced and HAD a waterway that paralleled the RR that had all been in there for probably 50+ years. I guess he decided he needed a few more feet of farm ground, so he cut thru the RR right-of-way dumping all the terraces into the ditch right next to the track. As could be predicted by a kindergartener, the first big rain started washing a huge ditch parallel to and right next to the track. So..... what happens, the RR hauls tons and tons of rip-rap in and lines the wash out with it to supposedly stop the erosion. Now everybody seems to be happy. In my purely personal unbiased opinion, I think the farmer should have gone to jail, or at the least had to have the waterway re-established and the terraces rebuilt, which had all been built with gov't assistance. Oh, just a side bar; this farmer has done other ridiculous things on rented property, without the owners knowledge or permission like removing trees, fences and even cattle guards on oil field entrances. I guess the old saying "it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" holds true.
Guess I should've been clearer :)

I was referring to the "blow it up" posts. Could be the fast track to become a terrorist...
 
Have your local Ag agent come out and look at it. This is a safety issue(potential washout and derailment in the future)You may have to get your state environmental department envolved or feds if RR ignores you. What they did should have an immediate adverse effect on the safety of that crossing. They should come back and fix it pronto. That displays laziness or incompetence on someone's part.
 
Tell them you are gonna use your old ex firetruck pumper and jet a new culvert in under the tracks.
And you are exited to do it as you have never done a culvert before and seldom get to use your very own firetruck.
Now that's an excellent idea! I was going to say I was going to try my new to keep boring machine. Lol
 
Guess I should've been clearer :)

I was referring to the "blow it up" posts. Could be the fast track to become a terrorist...
Go to the nearest maintenance location and talk to or get the road masters number.if no action in a reasonable time;bug the sh!! Out of him .he will get tired of dealing with you and do something.sounds like the maintenance Dept tried to stop erosion or mudslides and drove it through the bridge Departments culvert
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top