What have I bought

This past Saturday went to the Atlanta ToolBank's tool sale and picked up a few things at good prices (photo attached, I hope). One item is a plastic container full of machining bits and pieces. I'm not a machinist but thought that some of the steel pieces might be useful for making stuff. Paid $10 for the container and consider the price cheap just for the entertainment value of looking thru the pieces and trying to figure out what they do. Figured out most of them but was curious if anyone can tell me how the Heimann Mfg. Co. transfer screws are used. Scored several broken tap 'wrenches' which should prove useful. Thanks for any input you can provide.
mvphoto84355.jpg

3 compartments have High Speed steel tool bits. An upper compartment has a feeler gauge.

Been many lifetimes since I was in a machine shop, but here goes:

1. step blocks
2. lathe center
3. looks like needle scalers, but not certain
4. countersink
5. lathe turning cutters
6. end mills and turning cutters
7. thickness gauges
8. don't know
mvphoto84362.jpg

Transfer Screws are used by screwing them into a hole, point up, setting the matching piece over it and tapping it with a hammer to "transfer" punch marks to mark the hole location in the new piece.

mvphoto84358.jpg

mvphoto84359.jpg

mvphoto84361.jpg

I used them to transfer hole locations from a lathe chuck to a new backing plate/spindle mount.

There are 5 sets of transfer screws in
the upper center compartment. A transfer
screw is, in essence, a threaded center
punch point that is screwed into a
threaded hole so that the point protrudes
slightly above the surface.

By installing transfer screws into a pair
(or pattern of several) threaded holes,
it becomes possible to transfer the hole-
to-hole interrelationship to another
piece of metal by putting the second
piece against the transfer screw points
and smacking either of the two workpiece
with a soft-face hammer.

Last time I checked, a single set of
transfer screws cost somewhere between
$US 30 to $US 50 new.

You also have a number of lathe toolkits
(probably made of high speed steel,
which is often more suitable to home-and-
farm use than carbide tooling) and a
couple of center drills.

In other words, you stole that container
of bits and pieces, figuratively
speaking!

3 is tap extractors for broken tap and 2 more upper right, lower right I saw a few center drills. Everything else has been mentioned.

Some of the tools I have seen but didn't know their function. Many thanks for the very thorough descriptions and pics. Looks like I may need to find a metal lathe one day to plug them into (probably in my next life). I have gone on YouTube University and watched the metal lathe guys do their thing and it's a pretty amazing talent.

Clockwise from the left:
Tap extractors
May be a center finder and looks like steel balls below it.
Step blocks for machine setups, transfer screw sets and center punch
Thickness gauge and thread pitch gauge, tap extractors
Tool bits and center drills
Tool bits, maybe some are carbide

There are several steel balls in one of the cavities. I assumed they were random balls from bearings. Or, do those balls serve some kind of purpose in the machining world?

Thanks.

I still have some steel balls from Dad's machine shop. Never knew exactly why he saved them, but now I'm saving them.

I think they're from a time when it was common to rebuild bearings.

Steel balls aren't just for bearings. A lot of uses in tooling and gauge making. Most commonly with a spring as detents. Or sometimes just to measure against a curved surface with mics.

Several hundred dollars worth of tooling for ten bucks, a nice haul, indeed.

Most of the time I have seen the steel balls used in clamping set-ups, either as fulcrums or to focus the force to one small spot on the object being clamped. I inherited a box full from a toolmaker uncle. I am not sure if he used his with a sine vise for precision angle grinding...

I'm a retired tool and die maker and have every thing that is in that tool holder. But I do not have a lathe or mill. Therefor I think I got a box of junk

mrpete222 on youtube can teach you how to use any of the tools in that tray with one or more of his videos.

He's a retired shop teacher and lifelong educator. He's made over 1000 videos on machining and his various adventures collecting interesting tools.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back