What is it... printing press something?

MeAnthony

A friend of mine has this. About 20-ish years ago, they bought a house in Jackson, MI; the previous owner was an old machinist who had passed away. I'm trying to determine what it is exactly, how old, etc; seems to be related to the Railway Maintenance Employees Union out of Detroit. All I know is that there are two embossed rollers on top, one with "Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employes Journal Detroit, Mich Return Postage Guarangeed" and the other with "U.S. Postage 1c Paid Detroit, Mich Permit Number xx". There are two foam/sponge rollers above these that I assume would have been soaked with ink.

On the right side (with the large pulley at the bottom), I can turn all the gears on the top part but they don't drive each other. On the top part, lower left, there is a belt pulley; turning it moves only the large gear in the center. The gear at the top left and the gear to the right of it (this shaft protrudes a bit as if it should have something else on it. There is a vertical lever to the right a few inches with a pin sticking out the back. The pin lines up horizontally with this shaft.) both have spring-return catch levers... which I assume would be used to drive... something else? As is, I see no use/function.

On the back/outfeed side, there is a large knife at the top. About a foot down and almost centered under the knife is a double row of 5 flat (brass?) fingers that move up/down in sync with the knife. Maybe to hold tension on the fed material so it doesn't move when cut? But why only in the center and not matched to the width of the knife?
Given that is only prints a limited bit of address info, possibly fed a roll of paper, prints address and cuts to size for envelopes? It's an interesting piece, quite heavy, even the wooden rollers are in good shape. Any ideas or info?

One more time...
cvphoto6181.jpg

cvphoto6182.jpg

cvphoto6183.jpg

Apparently the pictures were too big initially, although were only 3 MB each. Not sure why they posted sideways, as they are oriented correctly in my files.

Thanks Bob, I'll check that out. She has a Graphotype 1920 also, from the same gentleman, but that's a bit of a different animal. I believe it was originally used for stamping ID tags? Generic/Internet picture...

cvphoto6190.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back