What is meant by "crown" stapler?

Caryc

My nephew is installing a new convertible top on his Mustang and he will need a staple gun. I've been looking at cordless ones and I'm trying to find out what is meant by "crown" stapler. No one seems to explain it anywhere. Some of the ads just say stapler.

My limited knowledge of a crown stapler is one that shoots U shaped staples and the length of the staple is not consistent with the width of the crown....a fixed dimension regardless of the length. My opinion is that they are made for penetrating an acceptable substance.....steel wouldn't be such and there is no mechanism to bend the tips over like the office stapler.

My nephew is installing a new convertible top on his Mustang and he will need a staple gun. I've been looking at cordless ones and I'm trying to find out what is meant by "crown" stapler. No one seems to explain it anywhere. Some of the ads just say stapler.
A stapler that drives on the crown (the bridge of material between the staple legs) of the staple. The common stapler basically.

Crown stapler is the proper name for a stapler.

I know that you said "cordless". I have a Stanley Bostitch corded Stapler that if adjustable that does a great job. I have used Arrow T50 staples in it from 1/4" to 9/16" x 3/8 crown. Mostly it has been used to install seat covers on ATVs and dirt bikes using 1/4" staples.

I would recommend a air-powered one, then you can adjust the power. I recently got one from HF for <$30 that shoots staples or brads.

Where would he use a stapler on an Mustang convertible top?
Car seat upholstery often uses a hogring style stapler to secure it to the wire base frame, etc.
Don't know about what staple might be used on a convertible top.

Car seat upholstery often uses a hogring style stapler to secure it to the wire base frame, etc.
Staples are used on the edges where there is a thin nylon like strip to staple into. I made the mistake of installing a new top on my daughters car once. Good thing the car wasn't that nice and she wasn't too fussy.

Evidently you've never seen anybody install one. I've watched three different ones and they all used many many staples. You're a bit behind the times.

Crown stapler is the proper name for a stapler.

I know that you said "cordless". I have a Stanley Bostitch corded Stapler that if adjustable that does a great job. I have used Arrow T50 staples in it from 1/4" to 9/16" x 3/8 crown. Mostly it has been used to install seat covers on ATVs and dirt bikes using 1/4" staples.
Actually the guy in the video used an air powered Bostich 3/8" stapler. That's probably what I'll get.

Last edited:
I also recommend a pneumatic stapler/brad nailer. I have had a Kobalt for years.

You do need to find the specifications for the recommended staples for installing the top before you get one.

Evidently you've never seen anybody install one. I've watched three different ones and they all used many many staples. You're a bit behind the times.
You are. correct. Can't recall the last time I was within twenty feet any convertible.
And never seen on without the top nor one being installed.

In case you don't know it, there is also a headliner under that convertible top so there is more to it than you think. I didn't know that either until I watched the video.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back