What is the most comfortable JD to use?

chas036

All my life, I have only used and owned only JD two cylinder tractors ( I am 67). In the early 1960's, I learned to drive a tractor on a JD model B where I would pull around an old ground driven manure spreader to help my grandfather on his diary farm. He had only John Deere tractors on the farm, 1949 Model B, 1951 A, 620, and 730 gas, and all were bought brand new from Deere. These were the only tractors he ever used on the farm till he retired in the early 1970s. Today, I still run the farm as a part time business growing organic beef , and I still use those same tractors to hay and spread manure an plow. Over the years , I have added a 60 and 720 Diesel.
Over the last year. I have been looking for a newer tractor 4 cyl tractor to run a snow blower and last week I found and bought a Massey 85 at an auction for $1200. My problem is, after 55 years of only using a hand clutch, I just don't feel comfortable driving this foot clutch tractor. It is a little embarrassing to say, but I have never driven a foot clutch tractor before in my life until I bought this Massey.

I spent all week driving around in this tractor and I just don't feel comfortable using it or with the clutch. I feel so low to the ground and I feel so restricted in the seat squeezed in between the fenders. With my JDs, I am up high above everything and I have a lot of freedom of movement.

My question is, are all foot clutch tractors uncomfortable to use like this Massey , or is this just inherent to Massey's ?

Of the new gen tractors, which is the most comfortable to use ? I was considering a JD new generation tractor like a 3010 or 3020 or 2020, o 2010 but now I don't know if I want a another foot clutch tractor after this experience with this Massey 85.

A lot of people will say a 4020 Diesel.. and that would be my choice too,, of the contestants you had in your post,, skip all of them but the 3020 and make it a Diesel..

Massey made some good tractors but the 85 was not one of them. That is why it was so cheap. Find someone with a 3020 or a 4020 and drive it some and see what you think. I have five 3020's and 4 4020's right now. Tom

Have a 3020 and a 4020 and they both are nice to operate there?s a reason them off breed tractors are cheap

Part of your trouble is your used to not only a hand clutch but also row crop tractors. You set up higher on them. The Massey line of that vintage is still derived from utility tractors. So you set lower to the ground. The hand clutch is something that is very Odd to most people. I grew up on a JD "G" and I do NOT miss the hand clutch at all.

Of the models you listed I will second Tim S in that the JD 3020 diesel would more than likely be more comfortable for you. The JD 2010 and 2020 are utility tractors so you would be setting low again. The trouble with the JD tractors in the time your looking at all have fairly fast reverse speeds. So the JD 3020 is not the best for snow blowing. It is better than your two cylinder tractors as they have an even faster reverse.

You got the MF 85 really cheap. It would should have a lower reverse speed. The seat is one thing you might want to try changing. IF your very tall then most aftermarket seats will set higher than the factory seat. The factory seat left you setting straddle the transmission and much lower than your used to setting on a tractor.

Like you I've run 99.9% John Deere 2 Cylinders all my life & I must say with the float ride seat versions
they fit me to a T. One of my 2 cylinders has a foot clutch, but it's a Little M & we can't count that LOL.
Other than the later 2 cylinders I really like the 2520 Diesels or gas, they are a perfect match for me too.
The Key I believe for the New Generation Series is 38" Rear Rubber. We had a 3020 on 34" & a 3020 on 38" they
weren't the same tractor both diesels with the same trans. The problem today is all the New Generation tractors
are about wore out, they are far & few between anymore & they cost more now than they were new if you find one
that's available. Most people who have a good one, Keep it, they know it & they LIKE IT..

Would a Generation II tractor be out of the question? I'm thinking 4230 or 4430, we have both. Their seat suspension would be a little more comfortable, they would be row crop and you could get a cab. I've always felt our 4430 is very comfortable. The 4230 I feel is a great all around tractor. Descent power, maneuverable and comfortable. You will have to keep with a foot clutch though but you don't have to push it in as far then on a clutch on a new generation in my opinion.

About your foot clutch question, if I'm correct about this tractor, the clutch and the break pedals are the type that when you press them you are pushing down and not forward like in today's cars and truck. Growing up I would be put on an early Ford 2000 which had a similar setup. As a kid you raise up off the seat when you were trying to stop. That Ford 2000 had an optional seat on it, padded with lots of travel so it rode good.

You will get use to it but not all foot clutch tractors are the same.

(quoted from post at 11:19:23 12/20/17) About your foot clutch question, if I'm correct about this tractor, the clutch and the break pedals are the type that when you press them you are pushing down and not forward like in today's cars and truck. Growing up I would be put on an early Ford 2000 which had a similar setup. As a kid you raise up off the seat when you were trying to stop. That Ford 2000 had an optional seat on it, padded with lots of travel so it rode good.

You will get use to it but not all foot clutch tractors are the same.

Sure, the foot clutch on a Deere New generation (either 20 series or SG cab tractors) is very easy to use and has perfect ergonomics.
On later tractors with bigger cabs (6-7-8000 series), JD used some of that extra space to place the levers and pedals too far from you: A 7800 with powerquad is not has handy to shift than a 4440 and the hydraulic levers and 3pt levers are not as well spaced: They increase the size of the cab and put levers too far to justify it.

Now talking about crazy mod, I have seen in the book "New generation Tractors" a sketch by Dreyfuss of a 4020 seat with the hydraulic levers protruding right trough it, a precursor of the commandarm armrest. Following the concept, It would be neat to make a modernized 4020 with the powershift lever on the left of the steering (around the steering column instead of throttle, with a motion of the shifter similar to older cars with shifter at the steering wheel.
Plus on right of seat the hydraulic levers and throttle trough the seat, with a nice yellow leather upholstery. I do not think that the cost of the mod would be gigantic once it is designed.

I too grew up on A, B, H and a 70D. If you lived nearby I'd let you take a ride on my WC flat top then my 3020! I've also through the years spent many hours in the seat of Ferguson 20, 30 & 35, Massey Harris Ferguson 50, Massey Ferguson 135, Olivers, Farmalls and a Cockshutt 570 gas along with who knows how many 8, 9 and NAA Fords! I'm not one to declare one design superior to all others. Just different. Sure I have favorites. Dad put me on his JD H when I was just 5. I became the horse that would move & stop by voice command as he forked loose hay onto the wagon. The different tractor variations fit the variations of people & what we do with them. That said, I believe the feller who finds many hours in the seat of a '38WC had to have really been in an uncomfortable seat at breakfast but I know first hand, it's still easier than following a team. Strangely I find the WC easy to mount & dismount but gosh uncomfy while on it!

Didn't really say much that's helpful but I do understand yer plight! I've more than once wished my A had a foot clutch as I was maneuvering around head lands or dead furrows with a trip rope plow, no roll o matic, steering tires in a dead furrow & a need to go to the right not along the dead furrow as I apply the right brake with the right foot & work the clutch with the left.

Anybody else remember days like that? The only thing that makes it better is to have the plow come unhitched.

Hope that makes ya smile.

You said comfortable and JD in the same sentence. Probably doesn't happen that way. I have 14 good tractors and the worst of the 14 for a comfortable seat is the 3010 with its prostate problem inducing short seat. The 13th worst is a 684, very good seat that tilts wrong. When I use these two tractors it is to get a job done , I just wouldn't take either one on a tractor ride.

Massey is the biggest seller globally. No where close to an "off breed" I feel like its just not a machine he's familiar with and that's the problem. I've never ran an 85 but I've spent most of my youth on a 90 and a 165. I'd the either over any 10 or 20 series deer ever built. Better low gears better power steering shorter turning radius (wide front to wide front) I'm not trying to knock anybody's equipment but a 3020 vs a 165 the price is considerably less for the Massey but no real reason for it that I cansee.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back