What is the purpose of belly mower?

Redturbo

Ok, I know its to cut grass. But why is 1000's of tractors with belly mowers? Growing up in Western Canada never seen tractors with belly mowers. I was born in the middle 70's, everything out here pulls from the hitch, & 3pt hitch wasn't very common either. After WW2, my GF started farming his 5 quarters with a H. My Dad has picture of him @ 2yrs old on it. That tractor is long gone, so we need a mower to cut the grass around the shelter belt. The typical lawn mower isn't going to cut grass out there. I used to collect toy tractors as a kid, always wanted to go to Dyersville IA. So we found a H with a belly mower in southern MN. Has an Artsway mower, went to Armstrong IA to get few parts, then onto toy show last November. So after my long winded story, what was the purpose of tractors with belly mowers? Did people really cut there yards with this type of mower? I have been to all lower 48 states, the Midwest farm yards don't waste any yard space that could be field. These mowers are finishing type mowers, so the clippings would be too short to do anything with after. Yards in Western Canada would be great for a mower this big, as it takes about 6 hrs to cut our farm yard. Thanks.

Most here have gone to rear mount finish mowers.

I think the Farmall "C's" and "H's" you saw along
with Allis "CA" type tractors with the belly mower,
were due to the lack of mobility to a pull type
mower, and a lack of a three point hitch on the
tractor.

I use the outfit in the picture on much of my yard.
a118796.jpg

You answered your own question: For mowing large lawns.

It's also a great way to justify owning an old tractor: "Hey honey, I can mow the lawn with it!"

Belly mowers are more maneuverable and give a much better finish than a trailing mower especially, and even 3pt hitch models.

I have an A with a Woods belly mower. It cuts just as nice as any riding mower but does much more at a time. It will cut things that are very tall and still do a great job. I sure wish it was on a tricycle tractor as it would be like having a zero turn. It is still very handy to cut around buildings, in fence rows, and clean up ditches.

I thought much the way you do. I only ended up with this A and the implements after trading a vehicle. I didn't figure I would ever use it. I was sure wrong. I can't believe how much I use it to mow - at least 2-3 hours a week.

I don't think I would like it on a larger tractor as that is part of the convenience - the fact that the tractor can get around lots of stuff. If I needed to shred something I would get out one of the big tractors and the pull mower. This thing just makes everything look so nice.

Funny thing is, I got the same Woods mower with my 8N and used it once. I hated it on that tractor.

So in the 40/50's belly mowers weren't used then either? Im assuming the idea came along in the 70/80's? I just kinda figured that there was some other purpose was all. The rear R1 tread isn't hard on lawn's? We don't farm anymore, but still own the farm. The yard is couple acres or more, so a lot of grass to cut. Since the SW6(snow plow tractor) & IH560D(loader tractor) don't have 3 pt hitches, & Dad was wanting to get a H. Why not get one with a mower, so we did. It needs some tlc.

Cubs with belly mowers have been around since the '50's. I grew up using a Cub with a Woods 42 in the '60's, and since Pappy was an equipment trader, occasionally he'd have a Mott Hammerknife or a Woods 59.

Around here, it was Super A's and C's with Touch Control hydraulics that had the larger belly mowers like the Woods 59. The 59 was a lot of mower to hang on a Cub...especially if the Cub wasn't healthy to begin with. Never saw an H with a belly mower until the '70's.

The first ones I saw were on Highway Dept tractors, either Allis B's or C's or Farmall A's, to cut weeds--these were heavy duty and not necessarily finish mowers. Replaced with rear mounts a long time ago. I have a L59 belly mower on my Super A. It is not maneuverable enough for a good lawn--I use it for the perimeter which is not lawn grass, or on the back lot.

Location, Location, Location. The belly mower was very useful when navigating around obstacles (you can easily see the sides of the mower as it clears the obstacles), mowing lots of uneven ground or hills (You did scalp the ground as easy nor have to worry about the float of the mower).

I have a L59 on a cub lo-boy. Using the brakes, I can spin her around at tree with the turf tires on.

The year I was rebuilding the cub, I put the L59 on my farmall f-12. Man did it have the power as I could mow 12" grass all day long. It was my first zero turn mower as I could follow aound the tree so close I wouldn't have to get out the weed whip.

I also have a 3pt hitch Yanmar belly mower; I love it on the ferguson to-20, but on the ford 8N it sucks. Dang 8N's (I grew up on them and have a love hate relationship as the steering and ground speeds are way off).

In any case, use the right tool for the right job.

One advantage is less number of tires mashing the grass down before the cut compared to a trailing mower.

Redturbo. How's the H working for cutting the grass? Have you had any time to give it some TLC? Last winter you were looking for a live hydraulic pump, did you ever find one? Here in Southern Minnesota, all it has done this spring is rain, the other day I heard the weatherman say that it only rain twice this spring, once for 35 days and then again for 27 days. With all that rain you really have to carefull just cutting the grass. I have places at my shop that still have standing water this spring and still unable to cut the grass in those spots. When I was working in the dealership in the 70's we sure sold a lot of belly mowers. The Farmall C or SC was the best tractor to install one under. It had good power and with the narrow front you were able to get around real good. I hope you are enjoying your H. CharlieU

Being the Great White North, the snow didn't leave us till early May this yr. Most times its gone by late March. Mostly I have been working on the new shop to work on this old stuff in the winter. As the old shop isn't heated. The "H" has been & still a project. Pretty much got it stripped down to nothing going from grill to hitch. Not being used to "Farmall" type tractors compared to the "W" series. Mostly dealing with the wonderful place the steering is mounted. But its been a good learning experience. Only been tinkering couple weeks on it, got your Alt kit mounted up CharlieU. That was the best part of RPRU last year, meeting my new friend Charlie. The old SW6 has never been this good of tractor of starting, chargine since upgrading it to 12 volts. Hopefully the H works the same.

Speaking of snow, we had a real late snowstorm this past spring. May 2, 2013 Southern Minnesota had over a foot of the heaviest, wettest, sloppiest, white stuff. It was record setting. charlie

My Uncle always said in north-central Texas, the drag behinds were always at the top of the list for one simple reason - when cutting you were in front of all the dust and what-not the mower would kick up. With a belly mower you had to sit in all that mess...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back