What is this wrench?

dan_41jdh

Along with a number of Deere wrenches I acquired at an auction, there were a couple of these shown in the picture. The socket size is approximately 1-3/8 across the flats and I'm not sure if it is even a Deere wrench. There are no markings or part numbers anywhere. Any thoughts?

cvphoto161948.jpg

cvphoto161949.jpg

That does seem logical, but I can't find any Deere documentation regarding the part number or what tractor/machinery it belongs to. I did originally think that it might be that D2063R lug wrench shown in the attached picture, but mine doesn't have the flattened end shown in the Tools picture. And besides, the D2063R has a smaller socket (1-1/4 inch) which will fit a heavy hex nut for a 3/4 inch lug bolt. The socket on mine is larger, 1-3/8, so it definitely isn't a D2063R. That 1-3/8 (or possibly 1-5/16) socket would be for a larger bolt, probably 7/8 diameter. I believe most wheel lugs had 3/4 inch bolts.
cvphoto161956.png

The nuts on A and G flywheel bolts are 1-5/16. That doesn't look quite like any John Deere flywheel bolt wrench I have seen before though. I'm also not 100% sure you could get it back there and still turn it even if you wanted to.

I think #3 in the illustration may be misleading.
Here is what I think it really looks like. This is what we always carried on our JD 1937 D tractor when I was a kid.
I have had a number of these in the past.

cvphoto161971.jpg

David, the wrench in your picture is P/N A577R (Key #1) according to a picture in the current unstyled A parts catalog. I have one of those, also, and the socket size of it is 1-1/4 inches.

cvphoto161997.png

Thanks for the info. I've never taken much interest in those old JD wrenches, but I found out years ago that the off-set shaped flywheel wrench was kinda scarce but I have happened upon quite a few of them usually just sold them to someone that needed it. I still have several.

cvphoto162001.jpg

Well, I'm pretty ignorant about Deere wrenches, so my info isn't worth much, but I do know that your offset-shaped wrenches are P/N D2064R, originally intended for the model D flywheel and then also designated for flywheels on later model A tractors with electric starting. I'm beginning to think my wrench might not even be a Deere product, but I did find another one that belonged to another Deere collector, but he didn't know what is was for either....

Dan I don't think that is a John Deere wrench. It's to bad Wayne Dill isn't still with us he would have known for sure.

Ya, I think that is a Farmall wrench some green underwear guy blasted with green paint. Fit the hub bolts to adjust the wheel spacing and would tighten the horse shoe drawbar bolts. Used on an H and M for sure.

Never understood how Deere expected folks to get flywheel bolts tight enough with those wrenches. We just replaced the flywheel on our late A, and it took a 5 foot cheater pipe on a 3/4" breaker bar.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back