What is your opinion on the "perfect" small farm t

641Dave

After buying my '58 641 Workmaster and beginning to understand more about Fords and the different models, I sure wish I had a lower first gear and a live pto.

I don't have buyer's remorse though, my tractor is doing everything I need to do and for the price I paid for it, I couldn't be happier. Having said that, I think I'm going to keep an eye out for another tractor that can dig post holes and run a roto tiller. With all that I have to spend money on in the next couple of years it may take that long before I could buy such a tractor, but it has me wondering what some of you guys would suggest to look for.

I don't want a new tractor either. There is something about these old tractors and their relative simplicity to work on. That and I personally have a thing for old iron shined up and running perfectly. So with that said, I'd sure like to hear the opinions of some folks that actually know tractors and what their limitations are.

As far as my needs are, about to be a total of 8 acres, fruit tree orchard, need fences built, barn built, about 5 acres to mow, dirt work and general beer sippin' at the end of a hard days work while admiring a cool looking old tractor, just because that's how I roll.

Thanks!

If you like your 641 you will love an 86x with its live PTO and lower first gear.

An 87/81 (S-O-S) with independent PTO and extraordinarily low lowest gearing is even better for tiller work and cau usually be bought for considerably less money than the 86x models.

Of course early 4000 (4 cylinder) models similarly equipped are nearly identical mechanically.

Dean

David --

I'll jump in quickly to be one of the first to welcome you to Ford ownership and to the discussion board. I also want to be the first to clue you in that the point of not buying one of those fancy, new, expensive all-purpose tractors is so you can use the money instead to buy several of the older ones to do a variety of chores.
My most-used tractor -- mowing, plowing, snow plowing, etc. -- is an 871. As long as that Select-o-Speed transmission keeps working, it can't be beat for utility -- 47 hp, the lowest tilling speed, shift on the fly, etc. But, fence projects, fire wood, and a few other chores benefit from a front-end loader and an auxiliary hydraulic with higher flow to run the 3-pt. splitter.
Thus, the 4000 (4 cylinder) with a more reliable direct drive Select-o-Speed and a front loader. We just built a house, and thus justified the 4-speed 4000 (4 cylinder) with a backhoe and loader.
I don't have a Ford 7xx or 9xx (yet), but have an Allis WD for row crop work and, for reminiscing about my first driving lessons and for pulling the grandkids in a cart, we have a Farmall Super A.
Although some are more useful than others in more situations, no one tractor will ever be enough. Start telling your wife that now, and tell her often. Have fun.
If you forget any this mantra, check back -- we're here to help.

I understand about the rototiller, but what makes you think a 641
can"t dig post holes? I do "em all the time with my Jubilee and it"s
never occurred to me that any other tractor would be particularly
better at the job (the problems I have all relate to roots and
bowling-ball-sized rocks).

(quoted from post at 17:48:33 03/25/11) I understand about the rototiller, but what makes you think a 641
can"t dig post holes?.

Cause I'm either a little dense in the head or don't really understand what live pto means.

I thought I could only run a post hole auger with live pto? With only mowing once with my 641, for some reason it's in my head that I have to be rolling for the pto to work. I'm not sure why I'm thinking that or is that correct? I'm confused and a little ignorant about my tractor at the moment. :oops:

Dean--when I first used the 860 in 1st gear, I couldn't believe how much slower it was compared to an 8N.

Would a rototiller work well behind the 860? Used tillers are beginning to show up for sale now that Spring is upon us (kinda/sorta)

22 degrees here this am.

Tim

(quoted from post at 11:59:14 03/25/11)
(quoted from post at 17:48:33 03/25/11) I understand about the rototiller, but what makes you think a 641
can"t dig post holes?.

Cause I'm either a little dense in the head or don't really understand what live pto means.

I thought I could only run a post hole auger with live pto? With only mowing once with my 641, for some reason it's in my head that I have to be rolling for the pto to work. I'm not sure why I'm thinking that or is that correct? I'm confused and a little ignorant about my tractor at the moment. :oops:

You don't have to be rolling.
I use my 640 turning a 9" rock bit with a 10' stinger with 85lbs on the end of it to drill into solid limestone and caliche.

You don't have to be rolling.
I use my 640 turning a 9" rock bit with a 10' stinger with 85lbs on the end of it to drill into solid limestone and caliche.

I think that got stuck in my head when I was mowing and depressing the clutch and noticed the pto winding down with it. I didn't consider putting the pto in gear and leaving the gearbox in neutral.

That made my day!

Though theh 86x tractors are not ideal for roto tilling as are tractors with S-O-S or 4x2 transmissions, they will suffice in most conditions.

Dean

You asked for opinions so here's mine.
Look for a 3000 with 8 speed, live PTO and Power Steering. Gas or diesel.

5091151768_b21eed3d12_z.jpg

I've got a '43 2N and a '74 2000 2x8 trans, live pto, PS gas.
The 2000 is the real workhorse, but the N is quiet, and much more fun. It's difficult to pick the favorite.

I say a Powermaster 861 would be right up your alley. When running good my 861 easily disced ten acres of brush in our apricot orchards, has dug many post holes, and was basically my Grandfather's "go to" tractor back in the day. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

I'll have to say my 3000 is awesome for the almost same size farm. Only 3 acres now, plan is for another 10-15 full of blueberries. Similar issues as orchards, mine probably narrower between rows. Tad heavier duty than the 2000, but similar in so many ways. The FEL I love for getting large variety of work, and would more than likely be too much for what I ask of her on a 2000. With 7 foot rows planned, just big enough, but not too big. P.A. rims help with the adjustable front axle. PTO strength allows for me to be able to run 5 or 6, or a light 7ft box or bush, or up to 6 tiller without sweating it. 2 or 3 bottom plow on unbroken ground is not a fear, and discing should be a breeze.

Main thing have learned from these super talented tractor geniuses, you can't go wrong with the part availability of both hundreds and thousands. Soo many out there, and soo easy to get the parts, for now. Probably stay that way for another 30 years.

Whatever you decide, [b:fa9ca7d012][i:fa9ca7d012][u:fa9ca7d012]PICS!!!![/u:fa9ca7d012][/i:fa9ca7d012][/b:fa9ca7d012] and pick a good name for her!

My father was a Ford Mechanic and collector....BUT, he had 3 Ferguson 35's that he used for daily farming.
I love the quitness and feel of the 8n, but still go for the 35 when I've got serious work to do.

This little 3000 Diesel w/power steering has been a fine tractor for bushhogging, disking, and planting on my 100 acres that I "play farm" for the deer and turkey
a36040.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back