What model JD, GP or A?

This was my grandpa's tractor that he put on an auction in 1988. I had thought it was a Model A and doing some searches for 1/16th scale I couldn't find anything that looked similar aside from mid 30's GP.. I don't have much of anything to go on aside from these 2 pictures. I'll have to talk with my uncle sometime to see if he can remember anything about it.

Thanks for any info offered.

Gene
cvphoto145565.jpg

cvphoto145566.jpg

Appears to be the unstyled model G. , It has exhaust and intake side by side. The A model has one behind the other. The GP is totally a different tractor.

I'm going with A also. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the G's had a shift quadrant. I don't see one here.
If we could see the brake drums, we'd know for sure. The ones on A's were different from the ones on B's.

I only have these two pics to with with. I wish I had more to go from. Once my grandparents passed away exciting they saved was thrown away that wasn't salvaged or hidden by my mom and dad. Sadly a lot of history was lost.

Thanks for all the input so far.

It appears to me there is a stairstep or neckeddown frt frame.
Didn't GP's have this feature?

That is a John Deere B. It is a short cast frame model and by the dish front wheels and lack of shutter controls or spark plug guard holes in the frame, it would be a late to mid 1936. A's had 4 bolt pedestals. G's had 6 bolts and B's (except for the first couple thousand) had 8. G rad would be into the steering shaft and the A's steering box is removed from the rear. This is a B as the two bolts for the steering sector are visible in the top pic. Looks pretty original except for the Wico X mag and the home brew muffler.

It's a short frame B, so '36 or prior. Later unstyled B's had the frame lengthened so things like cultivators would interchange between an A or B.

I also think it is a B. Dad's 36 had a big pulley but smaller fly wheel than a A. Can't see the fly wheel very good in this picture. The exhaust and intake stacks are at a angle like his, but his had 36 inch back wheels with flat spokes that were cut offs. These look like 38's or 40's. Look big to me.

Rear tires look like bar style tread on left rather than a knobby like the right. Am I seeing that correctly?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back