What size tiller for YM155D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am a newb to "real" tractors and am looking for a tiller for my just aquired YM155D (1300D equivalent) with loader - tractor rated at 15hp and weighs about 1150 lbs. I was ready to pull the trigger on a King Kutter 48" (TG-48) Professional but was advised to pick something smaller (36" - 41") by the dealer. I will be using it initially to start a large garden in hard soil (clayey silt with some small rocks <2") but thereafter I will till the soil yearly and will be adding compost. So it will not be used frequently to break a lot of new ground.

Is the 48" "really" too much tiller for this tractor or do you just need to take it slow. I really did not want any smaller than a 48" tiller, but don't want to give the machine more than it can handle and be kicking myself later. Thoughts/brand recommendations?

Thanks! - Greg

Matching implements to tractors isn't a perfect science because applications change, and if it's on the big side just go slower and shallower. For your situation I'd get the 48 and remove the outer tines the first go. The more you till the same patch the easier it gets, so after a few seasons your 155 may be able to handle the full width. Or some day you may trade to a bigger tractor.

A major variable is the lifting capacity of the hitch, because tillers are somewhat heavy, they usually get carried a bit far back, and you don't want to drag it. So make sure yours will lift that much weight. You can get a factory tractor manual for the 155 with the specs.

Besides the PTO being able to turn it, the other factor is traction. One variable is whether the tiller is forward or backward rotating (forward is less of a traction challenge). Another argument for foward is that it chucks rocks aft instead of ahead into the path to be hit again.

The last factor: the tires and any ballast. Most of the traction comes from the rears, so there's ballasted ag tread at one extreme and unballasted turf tread at the other.

I don't know how much brand and quality matter, because it's a very simple and basic attachment.

Thanks for the input Alan. I hadn't even thought of going with the 48" and removing the end tines, but I like the idea.

Now another question, I can buy a used Land Pride RTA 1042 (42") in good shape for $1,150 (it retails for about $2,100 new). Is this a good price for a used tiller of this brand? I have read opinions that the LP brand is good quality although overpriced.

I also have my eye on a new Phoenix T4 48" (made in Italy by Sigma) and can be had for about $1,500 at EA. I am not really sure if the new Phoenix is worth the extra $350 over the used Land Pride, but it looks like a very nice unit. Any wisdom out there to help me decide which direction to go? Thanks all - Greg

One thing I would consider on a tiller would be the availability and cost of replacement tines. you will go through several sets in the life of the tiller. I've found that the material used in the replacement tines will very from softer (wears out quickly) to a tuffer material. Keep this in mind when shopping for replacements

Further to Arnold's comment, I'm no metallurgist but think that tines can be soft (easily dented but hard to snap off) or hard (better resists damage but snaps when strained past a certain point). Don't know which is better or how to tell. But sometimes you do need a replacement so I'd ask for one with the order -- to have on hand and to see in advance how easy they are to obtain.

Most need oil servicing and/or have a grease zerk. These locations will be hard to find once it's been in service, so locate them for future reference while it's clean.

Decided to go with the used Land Pride RTA 1042 (42"). Spent about 3 hrs "tearing up the yard" yesterday and the unit performed great. It weighs about 360 lbs and I had no problems with the 3 pt lift or the hp of the tractor. The tiller is rated 17-24 hp, and the Yanmar is 15 hp. Based on the limited test drive, I am happy with the LP and glad I decided to save a few hundred dollars over a new Phoenix - plus the baby poop yellow of the LP matches the pea green soup color of the Yanmar better than a red or orange tiller ;-O It is a light duty tiller but seems to be very well made.

If you can, try to till after a rain (or you can spray water if the area is small enough). Water will make the ground much easier to to work and it will keep the dust down.

On the YouTube clip "Tractor Shibaura 1843" a tractor not much bigger than yours has no problem with a tiller that looks as big as the back half of the tractor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back