What tools would you want?

moresmoke

About 4 years ago I bought each of my kids a tool chest. Since then, Christmas and birthdays they get tools from me. I am to the point they have the basics, screwdrivers, pliers, socket set, wrenches, hammer. The idea is that once they leave home they will each have a set of tools to take with them.

So my question to the group, what would you consider necessary to have in a home tool kit? Neither of my kids will be a mechanic.

Stud finder
Drill
Impact driver
Circular saw
Screwdrivers
Open end wrenches in English and commi
Sockets in both
Allen wrenches
Box cutter
Crescent wrenches
Water pump
Plyer assortment
Voltage tester non contact
Low end voltage meter
Good small flashlight
Putty knives
Tin snips
Level, small and medium
Square
Lots of duct tape :)
Free "phone pops for help" coupon

Ratchet wrenches are very handy. A simple digital VOM. Tap and die set. Micro screw driver set. Soldering gun. Prybars.

Some sort of electric meter, wire stripper,needle nose times 3 or more, pipe wrenches,wire cutters,pry bars,BIGGER hammer! Way too many tools one might need. Don't forget WD 40, duct tape .epoxy,electrical tape,wirenuts,----------

In addition to what you wrote:
Pipe wrench. Sometimes you need two of them.
Slip-joint pliers.
A quality adjustable wrench.
Torx and a set of Allen wrenches in both SAE and metric. You can't work on a modern car without them.
Some kind of saw. Even a hand saw will cut off a shelf or closet rod in a pinch.
Hack saw.

After a point, you have to let them buy their tools as they need them.

You're certainly starting them out right, moresmoke--my grandparents did the same thing for their grandkids, starting in 1978--all Craftsman stuff from back when Craftsman hand tools were worth owning. A tool box and a few things in it for starters, then a little something every year thereafter. Over the course of a couple dozen years you can build up a very nice set that way, and I've still got most of them, still use them, and very much treasure them. Of course most of us have had the experience of having boxes full of tools and STILL not having the one little thing we need to do a job, but a few things that can come in handy again and again are a decent set of channel-locks, a good wire stripper/crimper, a decent level, a combination square, a few sets of good vise-grips, and a 3/8" drill motor--it doesn't even have to be cordless, as long as it's variable speed with reverse. Another thing that can be handy is a decent set of chisels--I always carry a couple in my truck as they take up very little room and have a multitude of uses, and I'm fond of picking up old ones in need of handles and sharpening, then bringing them back to some semblance of working order and handing them off to friends and family that don't have one and will appreciate it.

(quoted from post at 19:30:41 01/28/20) Stud finder
Drill
Impact driver
Circular saw
Screwdrivers
Sockets in both
Allen wrenches
Box cutter
Crescent wrenches
Water pump
Plyer assortment
Low end voltage meter
Good small flashlight
Putty knives
Tin snips
Level, small and medium
Square

You forgot one important thing...bandaides.

Might be repeating other posters - but in addition to what you've already got:

A sidecutter, a small reversible drill, hacksaw, handsaw

A level and a plum-bob

25 ft. tape measure, a utility knife, a putty knife

Mmmm, one of those handles for holding razor blades for scraping jobs

A small wire brush (kind of like a large toothbrush)

I have provided my daughter and son-in-law, and my granddaughter and her husband with enough tools that; if they can't fix it, and call me, I don't have to load up my tools. I even gave the young couple my big air compressor, and in turn the bought me a small high speed unit. I get quite a few; Grandpa, got a question? calls. Love it, they are learning.

a closet auger for clearing a plugged toilet. a good plunger , and a drain zip for clearing hair from sink and tub drains.

Interestingly, I have built up a tool kit at our condo based on what I need from time to time. And I've done the same for our RV. And I have a much larger tool bag I keep in my truck for when I'm working on rental properties. So I have a pretty good idea what the minimum is for me.

Claw hammer
Set of screwdrivers, including flat, phillips and square drive in various sizes. (I discovered the other day that it's hard to find individual square drive screwdrivers, but most sets include them.)
Pliers: slip-joint, Channellock and needle-nose
Diagonal cutting pliers
Vise grips (the 6 inch ones are very handy)
Utility knife
Pry bar (aka Wonder Bar)
Saw: drywall saw or similar small saw
Small level
Crescent wrenches (6 inch and 10 or 12 inch)
Set of US std allen wrenches
Tape measure
Flashlight
File
Speed Square
Safety glasses
Corded or cordless drill
Set of drill bits
Set of driver bits
Multimeter
Pencil and/or permanent marker

Now if one is going to be doing any plumbing, then you need additional tools, depending on what you're going to work on:
Pipe wrenches in a couple of sizes
Tubing cutter
Ridgid E-110 hex wrench
Hacksaw
Propane torch

After a life of doing without for various reasons, I can now look at a HF sale brochure and find nothing to interest me. "Tools Make The Job" cliche has finally arrived at my farm and life is sweet!

Anymore on home projects what I think I need and what I end up needing are entirely different items. I don't know if it is just me , or has to do with getting older , and or possibly everything has changed so much all my older items don't seem to match up to what is used now ? I seem to end up making several trips gathering up tools and even several trips to the stores and end up with tools and parts strung out all over the place !
The last project was a new counter top and sink in the bathroom. Counter top was just a low cost premade laminated one. I had to cut a hole in the middle and cut the length off. I have a nice Craftsman scrolling jigsaw and wanted to get a new blade made to cut laminate. These cut on the downstroke and do a nice job cutting. Seemed simple enough. But jigsaw blades sold now at least at Lowes are of different design made for quick couplers or something ? package says fits all saw. Well they didn't fit mine ! blade was a wee bit too wide so I had to grind it down to fit. That took awhile.

What I've found with my 2 boys (they are 34 and 31), everything I own x2. One son lives ten minutes from me, so anything he doesn't have at home, he just comes and gets. The other son lives in Chicago, and so far I've put at least $5,000 towards his tools and I just keep buying. By the time I'm gone, they will both have anything you need to build a house or work on any type of a vehicle. I didn't think either one had any interest in construction or mechanics. Boy was I wrong!

If they will likely rent their first home/apartment/dorm room I would get tools for that purpose and include some tools that a newbie might not think of:

A kit of various size picture hangers; torpedo level; tape measure; stud finder; ratcheting screw driver with a large handle and a socket for interchangeable hex bits; set of hex bits; needle nose pliers; lineman's pliers; decent quality wire stripper; inexpensive analog VOM meter; inexpensive set of 1/16 to 3/8 inch drill bits (let them buy their own drill, the battery will be fresher by the time they need it); battery tester for AA AAA C D 9 volt and button batteries; file; wood rasp; inexpensive set of 1/4 to 5/8 combination wrenches and an equivalent metric set, english and metric allen wrenches (in the folding jackknife handle to keep them together); a set of Torx bits; speed square; and maybe a combination square.

For the car:
jumper cables; tire pressure gauge; 12 volt air compressor with a trouble light ($25); simple light weight wheel chocks; inexpensive 1/4 & 3/8 socket set with english and metric sockets and an extension long enough to replace a car battery; antifreeze tester, battery acid tester; digital VOM meter; maybe an oil filter wrench.

Many of these can be found in sets or kits. Showing them how to use those tools might be the most valuable thing.

Every body must have a kid living in Chicago, my daughter lives and works in the thick of it, loves the place and my son lives to the northwest of it and works in Gurney.

A 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" pistol grip drills. The 1/4 should be fairly fast, 2000rpm, the 3/8 1200 or so and the 1/2500 to 700. This allows for the correct speeds for drilling wood and metal. I would say 120 volt corded so they don't need to worry about batteries being dead, low, or as the years go by not available as replacements. And a set of drill bits, fractional, and maybe letter and number, and wood spade bits. Wood spade bits? Hole saws-good ones that can cut metal?

Tools are only part of the equation, they need some hardware also. How about:
An assortment of dry wall screws of different lengths; a few nails of various sizes, including some brads and finishing nails; an assortment of nuts, bolts, flat and lock washers, from #6 up to 3/8" would probably be adequate; wire nuts of various sizes; a kit of picture hanging hardware; zip ties, mechanic's wire, duct tape, a few hose clamps of various sizes, and maybe some automotive fuses. This would make a pretty good start.

You mentioned you bought sockets. Did you buy torx and hex sockets in SAE and metric sizes? Almost everything these days is assembled with torx and hex fasteners.

A drill with bits up to 38 would be good. I see no reason to have 14, 3/8, and a 1/2 drill.

Wire strippers and crimpers would be good.

Lots mentioned. I did not see this though. A GOOD set of chisels, drifts, and center punches. I have my eye on a set of Mayhew. Mechanic at work has a large set. Seem pretty decent.

(quoted from post at 23:36:57 01/28/20)
(quoted from post at 19:30:41 01/28/20) Stud finder
Drill
Impact driver
Circular saw
Screwdrivers
Sockets in both
Allen wrenches
Box cutter
Crescent wrenches
Water pump
Plyer assortment
Low end voltage meter
Good small flashlight
Putty knives
Tin snips
Level, small and medium
Square

You forgot one important thing...bandaides.
Nah hes got duct tape in there, pretty sure that doubles as bandaids.

Don't use these tools very often but when I do I save thousands of dollars.
Ohm-volt meter, OBD 2 live scanner, test light etc.

A Craftsman soft hammer with the red and yellow ends on it. Tap and die set. Drill bits sets , Set of torx sockets set of torx screwdriver handles. Allen wrenches folding and loose. Machinist blueing , Tap magic fluid, Various small tweezers aircraft tweezers. Sharpening stone . The list is endless as things like crazy glue are sometimes needed. Fill the whole tool box!

Some I never owned for years and would be lost without now.
Light weight ratchet straps.
Economicaly priced vernier caliper.

(quoted from post at 18:11:29 01/30/20) Some I never owned for years and would be lost without now.
Light weight ratchet straps.
Economicaly priced vernier caliper.

Having two tractors with FEL's on them having ratchet straps is a must when moving odd stuff in a bucket.

A set of Vernier callipers is a must for me. Also have different size inside and outside calipers and depth gauges.

When I worked in an aircraft job shop, the boss had a set of 48" vernier calipers. We actually did use them from time to time.

I did a similar thing for my daughter. One thing I would do is get a small plastic box with dividers and fill it with an assortment of nails and picture hangers. You can do the same thing with small screws.

(quoted from post at 07:21:36 02/02/20) I did a similar thing for my daughter. One thing I would do is get a small plastic box with dividers and fill it with an assortment of nails and picture hangers. You can do the same thing with small screws.

Harbor Freight has a lot of compartmented plastic boxes filled with what ever kind of stuff one might need. I purchased about 6 of them filled with all kinds of stuff.

If they are not mechanically inclined you may be wasting your money. My son won't even change a tire. One goes flat he calls a wrecker to take the car to a tire shop.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back