what welding rods?

part of the loader frame on my skid steer cracked. was planning on taking the grinder and making the crack v-ed out so i can lay a bead in there. i need a rod that penetrates good and i can weld virticaly. anyone know what welding rods i should use? thanks much
DF in WI
 
6011 is a good vertical rod that penetrates well but I don't think it's as strong as some other rods out there. Maybe someone else can help here. Jim
 
If it was me I would grind it out good an clean, nice deep V. Root pass it with a 6011 on AC and then 3 lap passes with a 7018 on DC.
 
Loader frame should be high carbon steel. Use the 7018 for the best and strongest weld.
 
If it is high carbon steel you will need to use a low hydrogen rod like 7018. 6011 or 6010 may crack while the weld is cooling.

I suggest you post your question on the tool talk bb - there are a handful of gents that frequent that bb that know more about welding than I ever will (also seen here, but not as often)
 
Run DC 7018 but even then your not done. You need to put a fish plate over that weld and weld it on. If all you do is weld up that crack it will then crack later next to the weld you did. When something brakes like that it has small cracks you can not see on each side of the bigger one BTDT way to many times and learned for a pipe line welder how to do it the right way
Hobby farm
 
Being a welder for a living, I'd recommend 1 stringer pass with 6011 at high heat. Then use a buffing wheel to clean it up good and make 2 passes with low hydrogen LH-78. I would use Lincoln rods as they seem to penetrate better than any other brands.
 
You are right on the money Old,it will now be the weakest point and if you don't want to do it again later put in a plate.
 
As others said,v it out,6011 root pass,grind all of the slag out,then 7018 DC passes untill it is past the surface.Grind smooth.If it breaks again,which it wont,but if it does it will be beside the weld.Grind it out and weld again the same way and put a plate on it.
 
6011's are deep penetrators and 7018's are shallow with a nice looking cleanup. I have 30 years of self taught experience and have broused welding text books and rod supplier application brochures.

Having had welds fail and welds that didn't fail, I would follow some of the advice given and v it, then a couple of passes with 6011 (depending on rod diameter and thickness of metal), then grind it off swmooth and put the cap on old mentioned. Weld it with the 7018.

As mentioned, I have had the 7018 rip apart on some heavy duty applications, and butt welding just never worked for me. A cap and fillet in the interface of the side of the cap and the base material has worked well and is an excellent place for the 7018.

Mark
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top