What would you use?

Bonnan

I have a Toro 16hp x 38 cut lawn mower in good mechanical shape and plan on keeping this mower for long time. Today while cutting grass the mower felt like it was laboring so I thought I would look underneath. Jacked the mower up to remove the blades. Wow! was I shocked, the entire plenum was packed with wet grass.
Decided it was best to remove the deck immediately and do a complete cleaning/restoration job. After getting down to bare rusted metal I will apply a SEM Rust-Mort rust converter product.
What would you guys apply thereafter? paint, mastic, or what?

Jim B

#1. Don't mow the grass when it's wet.
#2. Scrape the underside of the deck yearly or whenever you sharpen the blades.

That's all I've ever done and have yet to ever rust out a deck.

Can't think of the name off hand but Tractor Supply carries a "slippery paint", it's in the machinery parts section, liquid to brush on or spray cans, we use it on the bale wagon tables, mower decks, and even in the dump truck boxes if/when hauling clay or manure.

Just use whatever you have around for an oil based, for metal paint like Rustoleum. I have been using Rust Mort for 4-5 years. I like the way it penetrates. Before top-coating be sure that you get any white residue rinsed off. I put small pieces in a bucket and pressure wash large ones.

The other day I mowed in a sprinkling rain and filled the underside of the deck with clippings. The deck was clean as a whistle when I started. Part way through the job I spotted a large water puddle in the street curb so I parked the mower with the deck over the puddle with the deck engaged and engine wide open. The deck sucked up the water and in a couple minutes the puddle was a frothy yellowish green and the mower deck was clean. I had hauled the mower 17 miles to mow my dad s lawn and the rain started when I made one round so I kept mowing knowing the consequences.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back