What year is my John Deere model B grain drill?

I recently purchased a John Deere model B, 14 X 7 grain drill.
It uses a hydraulic cylinder to engage and disengage the
planting. It also has 15 inch rubber tires. I was told it sat
in a barn in Missouri for over 20 years. Can anyone tell me how
old it may be or even what years it was built? Thanks for any
information!

Model B drills were built from 1946-mid 60's.

Wheels with 5 bolt pattern were utilized through 1951. After 1951 6 bolt wheels were utilized. Type of lift was determined by dealer or purchasing customer. Do you see any parts casting # on seed boots or any other cast type parts such as disk pressure rod swivels? Do you see white iron type or anti-friction brgs bearings on the disks?

I remember assembling JD grain drills especially model
"B" when they were new. The grain agitator shaft & drive gears were challenging to install.

mvphoto61793.png

Have a 1951 model and know it is a 1951 because the farmer I got it from told me he bought it new in 1951. It has the ground lift but I understand the hydraulic lift was an option in those days. Also had the chilled steel bearings but I later converted them the the later bearing style. It does not have an alfalfa/grass seeder on it, just a plain galvanized grain box. It is 20x8 and I think the tire size is 6.50x16.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back