Where do you quit?

Ultradog MN

Well-known Member
Location
Twin Cities
I hauled the burned 3600 home from the lake when I was up there last week. Got it pushed into the garage here and started stripping everything off the block so I can clean it up better and paint it.
But I'm wondering if I ought to go a little farther into it than I planned.
About 3 years ago I bought 8 new in the box Ford branded pistons w/pins for this tractor PN D6NN6108L.(standard bore)
I had no use for them then but they were SO dirt cheap I couldn't pass them up. They've been in a box on the shelf ever since.
I think there are rings for 2 pistons came with them.
So now I've got this tractor mostly tore apart, have a full gasket set, have to pull the pan and timing cover as the front seal was leaking pretty good.
And since I'm into the thing this far, my question is: Should I go ahead and drop these nice new pistons into the thing.
I'd probably do new rod bearings but was thinking about slapping the head back on as is.
Dunno. Engine didn't have much blow by and ran good. I've just got these new pistons laying around...
I'd appreciate your thoughts-
 
I might plastigauge the rods and mains, and then comp check the cyls.. if everything fell in good tolerance.. I wouldn't go any further into it myself.. etc.

soundguy
 
I guess I'd say leave well enough alone too...
my 4600 has close to 7800 hours on it's original engine, which hasn't been touched except for a set of injectors and some gaskets and o-rings. I still don't have to add any oil between changes. Check the bearings and fix the leaks and call it done.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top