Where is the oil going?

flyingace

Member
I have a Ford 3000 Diesel and it's using oil - fast. I don't think it's going out the exhaust pipe. I just don't see very much white smoke coming out. The motor seems to run well and starts easily. Minimum smoke at startup too.
I see no obvious leaks of engine oil and the oil itself is clean.

Where can the stuff be going?
 
(quoted from post at 06:51:44 04/02/12) Watch the oil level closely in your rear end.
Could be getting in to the hyd system through the hydraulic pump.

UD,
I think you nailed it. I just added 2 1/2 qts to my engine oil and drained 2 1/2 extra qts from the diff housing. At least the engine itself isn't burning the oil, which is good news.

I know there is a main oil seal between the engine oil side and the hydraulic side of the pump. I'm guessing this is the main source of the leak. Is there anything else I need to inspect/replace to slow this flood down?

Thanks a lot.
John.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top