Which is better JD 2020 or Oliver 1650

chas036

I have narrowed my choice to the following two tractors, but don't know which one too choose. They are both gas and well maintained tractors for $5000 for JD and $4000 for the Oliver. I will be using them for snow blowing in winter, and field work like bush hogging, plowing, disking, etc. in the summer.

I like the Oliver 1650 because is seems to be very easy tractor to work on without having to split it if I have to do clutch or brake work. But it is a "BIG Profile" tractor and with 6 cylinders, I can't imagine the fuel consumption.

The JD 2020 is more in size with what I am use to using. I have a JD 730 gas, JD 620, and JD-B) and being the 2020 is John Deere, I feel more comfortable about getting parts. But because you have to split it if you have to do brake work or clutch work, this scares me a little.

In general, which tractor is the best in overall quality and reliability with less problems?

A pretty accurate rule of thumb to estimate gallons of gas per hour used by row crop size gas tractors is divide the HP by 10 when at medium work, at full power the tractor is actually more fuel efficient HP wise.

Since your going gas I would say the Oliver 1650 IF it is in good shape. Yes you do not have to split it to work on it but pulling all the stuff off to lift the motor/hydraul out of the tub is not fun either. I can actually have a JD 2020 split faster.

I have owned two gas Oliver 1650s over the years. They set up higher which I liked when mowing and field work. The only trouble I had was snow blowing in the winter. The carburetor would want to ice up when pulled hard. That would be an issue on either tractor. I added a heat houser and that helped but some times it still would ice up. You would have to idle the tractor down for a few minutes to melt the ice off the carburetor.

As for parts the Oliver is not bad for parts. AGCO is not cheap but since the majority of the Oliver 1650 parts are used on many models of Olivers the parts are easily found. You have fairly good after market support too. I would say the after market options are actually better for the Oliver over the JD 2020 just because of the number of models using the same parts.

Both tractors are well respected. Will you be selling one tractor to buy another to run the snow blower? You can check the Nebraska Tractor Tests to compare the two tractors. Test #936 for the 2020 gas and test #874 for the 1650 gas. If the 2020 has 28 inch rear tires and the 1650 has 38 or 34 inch rear tires, I think the 1650 would be the better tillage tractor, a bigger version of the tractors you already have. I think the 2020 will be the better loader tractor regardless of rear tire size, especially with a Deere loader matched to the tractor.

If the 2020 has good strong brakes I would not worry about having to replace the brake pads. Check for moisture in the hydraulic oil. The wrong hydraulic oil and water in the hydraulic oil is what ruins wet brake pads.

Oliver.No contest. The german JD may have close to the rated HP as the 730,but put it in the ield along sid,. The 730 will bury the 2020.Splitting the 2020 isn't a big deal at all.Acctually the Oliver may be harder ,since you will need a hoist to lift the engine,and remove the hood,gastank and all the otherstuff.IMHO,sincethe Oliver is a heavier than the 2020,it would make a superior loader tractor,with more torque/power.

Oliver is a little more fuel efficient since it runs a higher compression-ratio. Not by much though. Oliver doing light work at 15 horsepower uses 2.7 gallons of gas per hour. Deere at 13 horse uses 2.8 gallons per hour. Oliver at 30 horse uses 3.5 gallons per hour, whereas the Deere at 25 horse uses 3.4 gallons per hour.

I'd choose the Deere since Deere is still in business and it still has good parts support. Plus I like sitting a little lower and the power brakes.

John Deere for the simple reason better hydraulics.

Yes the Oliver 1650 will out pull the John Deere 2020 in power and traction. The JD offers better hydraulics which includes power steering, brakes, selective control valves. Its a lot easier to hook up hydraulic hoses to the John Deere coupler than the Oliver couplers. The John Deere brakes are night an day better than Oliver's.

John Deere uses 2 types of oils: Engine Oil and Hydraulic / transmission oil .

Oliver uses 4 types of oil: Engine oil, Hydraulic Oil, Transmission Oil, and Hydra-power Oil

The Hydra-power on the Oliver will let you free wheel in Hydra-power mode going down hill, better have good brakes or keep in in direct drive.

John Deere offers better product support.

Since you are looking at tractors that are over 50 yrs old, I would be looking closely at their work history and/or major system overhaul history. Instead of looking at their ease of splitting , I would be looking for something that didn't need splitting or already has had that stuff done. Either tractor would do what you want. I'm sure you are not buying it to work on. That's where my priorities would fall. Get one with some verifiable history or pass. If I'm buying a 50 yr old tractor, I sure need some history or I don't buy. Won't blow much snow if in the shop.

If it gets a little damp out the 2020 is not going to go, will have a hit and miss engine on your hands IF you get it started, the olivers didn't have as much problem with wet weather as the gas deeres, Have both here the 2020 is the worst for it.

I still don't understand wanting a gas tractor in that HP range, but I'd take the Ollie hands down.

When I worked at fertilizer plant they had a 2020 that I had to use and HATED it, Same size and configuration as my 2 Ford 4000 (4100) and no compairson the Fords were way better. So between them and never actually seeing that model Oliver I would go for the Oliver But I would hold out for a Ford. And yes I was a JD man starting with a 38A, 49B, 46B, 51A and last a 50AR. I also grew up with and still have a 44 2N Ford tractor and a 41 9N and had a NAA. And after driving my uncles 2010 and 3020 when I went for a bigger tractor than the A & AR it was only natrul to go with ford as I also HATED both the 2010 and 3020. The only Deere in anything except a 2 cylinder I might go for is a 1010R or a 1020HU but they would be gas.

To me the poor brakes is partly why I HATED that 2020 at work. And very uncomfortable to set on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back