White 2-155 Pto conversion

Jack 2023

New User
I am looking at purchasing a White 2-155 tractor. I noticed that it has the large 1000 pto but all of my equipment is the small 1000 pto. I am concerned if it will work for my Gehl 1075 chopper and a New Holland Discbine. I've seen mixed reviews for the adapters and if I use an adapter I'm worried that the pto shaft would then be the wrong length. Any advice would be helpful.

Also any comments on if the white 2-155 is a solid tractor

I used an adapter for years on my big Deeres without any problems. Make sure the drawbar length is correct so the telescoping shaft doesn't bottom out on a turn. PTO may chatter a little more on turns if the front and back angle of the u-joints are unequal. Thinking back, it was 1981 when I bought my 4640 so I used adapters for 40 years without incident.

I am pretty sure that they made both the 1
3/4 and 1 3/8 1000 rpm shafts for the
155, some, maybe not all?. Ask a dealer or
if you know the serial number you can look
it up at agcoparts.com

You should be able to change that shaft by removing the pto shield and putting in the one that you need. It's most likely that it has 540 and 1000 speed pto. Most of the 2-155's were that
way. I thought 200 - 250 hp was where the large 1000 shaft was required? My 2-180 has the small 1000 shaft in it with 210 engine Hp.

I almost said that myself Mike. In fact, I had it all typed, then I remembered a 2-155 was 1000 only and I only know the 540/1000 on the 2-135. I looked it up in Agcopartsbooks. It shows a 20 spline inch and three quarters and a 21 spline inch and three eights, but it looks like you have to take the whole back off to change it. That whole cover that holds the 3pt center link. There's a bearing and cup on the inside that come in to the cover from behind and it looks like the shaft comes in from behind the bearing. Honestly, I didn't know that inch and three quarter shaft was a thing back when those were made. I can't say I've ever seen one in a 2-155.

Looking at the parts breakdown, the 2-155 could be fit
with either the small or big shaft. But it is not quick
change. The PTO housing has to come apart.

The 1 3/4 PTO has a longer drawbar spec than the 1 3/8
shaft. Usually works out about right when using an
adapter. If you try an adapter I would recommend the
clamp on style.

The 2-155 is a good tractor. One thing I'll caution, be careful with park. Make sure the tractor is at a complete
stop when you put it in park, then let off the brake easy if it's where it will want to roll. There's a weakness in
the design in my opinion. The service manager at the dealer said he never heard of a bolt breaking in one, but I
broke one. It was at a dead stop when I put it in park, but it must have been cracked or fatigued because it broke.
The way it's designed, it pivots on a bolt that threads into the side of the transmission case on the inside. That
bolt should have gone through something so it worked as a shaft or rod between two solid points instead of just
hanging out there.

Like I said, the dealer said he'd never seen it happen, so not likely it will, just be careful not to stress it

Thank you everyone for your commitments and advice. I have decided not to purchase the tractor due to it not being a perfect fit for my farm.

(quoted from post at 12:25:49 05/20/23) I am looking at purchasing a White 2-155 tractor. I noticed that it has the large 1000 pto but all of my equipment is the small 1000 pto. I am concerned if it will work for my Gehl 1075 chopper and a New Holland Discbine. I've seen mixed reviews for the adapters and if I use an adapter I'm worried that the pto shaft would then be the wrong length. Any advice would be helpful.

Also any comments on if the white 2-155 is a solid tractor

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back