Why I love Farming

Monday - mowed hay with my draft horses. Also had a friend bring his and join me. FUN!
Wednesday - raked hay with my 1939 Farmall H and old John Deere 670 side delivery rake. Both worked great! FUN!
Today - hooked the ol H to my old John Deere 214 W/S hay baler and baled. Both the H and the Baler worked perfectly! Fun
Bonus - saw a deer crossing my hay field and just sailing over fences. Great to see. FUN!
Bonus - saw a Cara/Cara (Mexican Eagle) looking for prey within 50' of my tractor. FUN!
How can a guy in his 75th year on this earth have more fun??? kelly in Texas

I would sure say you have had a lot of fun . Cutting hay with horses is something I don?t know if I?ll I ever get to do

1953 or 1954 watched my Grandfather cut hay with a matched pair of Belgian draft horse, Bill and Tom. When the hay was dry the team pulled a hay loader and wagon to pick up the hay. Gramps had a 29 John Deere GP that my Uncle used to pull the loaded wagons up into the barn. They were unloaded with claw contraption and an elaborate rope/pulley system. Gramps farmed with the horses until 1956 when he bought used John Deere B.

I have seen standing corn harvested with a binder,the horse closest to the row was so smart he could reach out and grab a mouthful of corn leaves and never miss a beat, that tickled me!!

Sounds good Kelly. So you put the ponies to work! The way the weather has been I wasn't sure we'd do much field work of any kind. We'd better watch out for July though. John

A few years ago I watched a fellow mow hay with a 7 foot New Holland mower conditioner behind his team of horses.

My grandfather would start to cut hay around a large field with horses (Sam and Daisy) and a few days later we'd start raking and then picking up the hay with a hay loader behind a wagon pulled by a 1936 WC Allis Chalmers driven by me. Dad and a hired man on the wagon. Those were called "grapple forks" and they were operated by me with dad and the hired man in the mow. We'd be working that field for days as my grandfather continued to cut with us following, raking and loading and hauling.

I would like to see that . I?ve been riding across the summer range pretty good clip pushing cows and a horse can grab a mouthful of grass and never miss a step

So . . . By the time I finished baling yesterday (nearly six pm) I was tired. Not a cloud in the sky. So long since it?s rained here that I thought it?d forgotten how. Last night it rained, of course. Oh well, Las Vegas has no gambling like the gamble of farming.
I?ve appreciated the nice comments - all except Dave H - my 79 years young wife wouldn?t appreciate me chasing a 65 year old gal. HAH! Kelly

I must be to young to remember much farming with horses (75 1/2 now). Father-in-law use to pick a lot of corn for different neighbors. Ask him how he kept the horses from reaching over and grabing a ear of corn. You bounce a ear of corn off their head a time or too and they will stop.

Dad had lots of work horses but I was stepped on several times as a child and hated horses. But I can get get the same satisfaction out of my vintage equipment when the weather is good and there is no pig push to get done.Tom

My Grandad also farmed with horses. He did finally buy a AC, the one with hand brakes, but would not use that much. Horses were much better for him cause they would stop when he wanted them to.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back