Why mess around with a ballast resistor when you can ?

Geo-TH,In

Why mess around with a ballast resistor when you convert from 6v
to 12v and buy a new 12v new coil from Amazon for $18.95?
New Ignition Coil With Internal Resistor 3 OHM 12V
12 Volt Universal 35K Voltage Output Spark Coil Plug.

The cost of a 6v coil and a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor costs
more..about $27.

I don't have issues with the ballast or 6 v coil on my Jubilee.
I want to have parts for my son after I'm gone.
Does anyone think the 12v coil won't work?

3 ohms 12v = 4 amps which is what I shoot for using a 6v coil
and ballast resistor.

Why mess around with a ballast? KISS, Keep it simple!
The last S in KISS is disrespectful so I'm leaving it out.

A 6V coil produces a hotter spark during cranking when the battery voltage is sagging from the load of the starter.

When cranking the 12V coil may only be seeing 9-10V. The 6V coil will still be in the 5.5-6.0V range because there isn't as much voltage drop across the resistor at the lower voltage.

Some solenoids have an "I" terminal on them designed for providing 12V direct to the coil during cranking, bypassing the resistor with a second wire straight to the coil +. So instead of 5.5-6V the coil is seeing 9-10V, and gives an extra-strong spark for that short period of time, making starting easier.

I used a diode to wire around the ballast on my Jubilee.
Prior to using the diode the
cvphoto142393.jpg

Jubilee would take longer to start.
Sometimes I had to get off the starter, battery voltage
increased and it would then start.
A good battery solved low cranking voltage.

You don't need an extra coil. The 12v no resistor coil on my M has been fine for 30 years.

Don't understand why people always want to replace the coil anytime they are having ignition problems. They rarely go bad. Keep the plugs gapped properly and they last forever.

Go to a good parts for your coil and do not buy the cheapest one that compares to the A company item they probably do not stock them any way.

Only a few early Ford cars and some 50s GM cars had an actual resistor in the coil. None currently do, except a rare NOS coil for one of those early cars. Lets stop the idea of internal resistors once and for all. See John T post below!!!! Jim

Word play. Sure there's no separate ballast resistor inside the coil. What there is is extra turns of wire which is the same thing a ballast resistor is. One is inside and the other is outside. People getting upset over it is silly.

Why do I want a second coil?
My son will inherit my Jubilee.
He's a computer wizz, I'm not.
I know how I wired my tractor and can repair it, my son knows little about the old school tractor. I'm teaching him and want to have spare parts for him.
I don't know anyone who knows how to repair an old tractor or where he could take it to.

So far, the old girl will fire off on the first or second crank.
Doesn't use a drop of oil. Runs great.
Just retired her because I have a new tractor with a cab.
Always wanted a cab, AC and heat.

If he is a computer whiz as you stated, finding the info online should not be a challenge for him

Internally resisted coils weren't common because coils build heat, and resistors build heat. Why have it all in one place?

In the summer, sure. In a MN winter I will keep the 6 volt coil with a ballast resistor for the better cold starting.

With respect, additional smaller diameter wire wound into a coil that provides the primary magnetism is not the same as a resistor. It has resistance and electrical/magnetic interactions as a transformer component. It is not an internal resistor, which would produce heat as it reduced the voltage.
Why we need to make this distinction is both to be accurate, and technically correct, as well as creating a forum that new members can depend on to grow in our passion. Jim

Because your original 6v coil, and distributer parts too (if they have some age on them) are probably of higher quality than new replacement parts that you buy now, even in 12v.

Why replace anything, when adding a resister is just fine? And why avoid the resister, if it just entails replacing other things that you don't have to?

As for your son, give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach him how to fish and it'll provide for him the rest of his life.

I've tried to get that point across for years. coils do not have an internal resister yes at one time a few did but that was before most of us where even born

I ordered a RU11T.
I have a way to see if it has the same resistance as what I already have.

Your QUESTION: Why mess around with a ballast?

ANSWER: You surely already knew this George right ?? However for anyone who may not:

One reason many old tractor and car makers for years on 12 volt cars/tractors used a 6 volt coil PLUS an external series ballast resistor PLUS a ballast by pass when cranking function

WAS TO IMPROVE COLD WEATHER STARTING

How it works is ONLY when cranking, if so equipped, a ballast by pass system applied non ballasted battery voltage to the 6 volt coil for a stronger spark VERSUS if the reduced battery voltage were applied to a 12 volt coil. In cold weather battery voltage drops significantly when cranking so say 10 11 or so remaining volts (when cranking) on a 6 volt coil can allow an engine to start versus the same voltage was applied to a 12 volt coil GOT IT ????????????

SOOOOOOOOOO thats why so many companies used a 6 volt coil plus a ballast and ballast by pass while cranking system on 12 volt tractors for years TO IMPROVE COLD WEATHER STARTING

HOWEVER NOOOOOOOOOOO George you dont need it,,,,,,,I wouldnt mess with it,,,,,,,,its simpler to just use a 12 volt coil no ballast required,,,,,,,,,,,,you likely would never notice any difference,,,,,,,,,,,of course it can only improve cold weather starting iffffffffff you have a ballast by pass feature WELL DUH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YESSSSSSSSSSSSS ITS SIMPLER But this is ONLY to explain why and how manufacturers did that for years and indeed it could help in cold weather

You dont need it, I wouldnt mess with it either, just use a 12 volt coil no ballast required KISS

There ya go George hope this helps, answers your question, and lets you know why it was done for years even if its NOT for you and indeed simpler to use a 12 volt coil and be done with it lol. Hey if the engine is good with a good full charged battery theres likely little to no difference !!!!

John T Live from Perry Florida

W/O a ballast, the coil will have more power in form of heat pumped into it. P=12v X 4 A= 48Watts. With a ballast & 6v coil, the voltage (and Power) split 50/50, so coil sees P=6 x 4 =24Watts and ballast sees 24W. Will it matter? Electronics Reliability experts say yes.

Amazon showed an 0.6 ohm ballast for the 2n, 9n and 8n ford tractors.
I wasn't aware a 6v coil used a ballast, were you?

Good point Jessie.
I ordered another ballast from Amazon.
I'll put it in series with my 6 volt coil and connect it to my
mower battery and see if I don't get a 6v across the ballast and
6v across the coil.

What voltage did the 12v coils use? My old 1965 cuda had a
ballast and was a 12v car.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back