Will a farmall m pull no till drill

I have a farmall m with one set of rear wheel weights and I would like to rent the local co-op drill to plant some hay I am on flat ground it is a 10ft John Deere 1590 no till drill I dont know if my m will pull it or not if not could I pull a no till drill at all because I might be able to find another co-op that has a 7 or 8ft drill thanks in advance I forgot to add it is pretty heavy soil

This post was edited by FarmallAllis51 on 01/18/2022 at 06:45 pm.

My bet is that it wont be a good time. The bigger issue
would probably be the M not lifting it back up. Would be
best to have someone custom plant it.

I don't believe your hydraulics would be
able to handle it. Probably easier to hire
it done I would think. Good luck... Bob

Does it have a dolly wheel???

A 3020 JD ran our 10 foot 750, which is essentially the same thing. It was a drawbar mount, with no dolly. We used a 4020 or 4320, but the neighbor used it with his 3020 on several occaisons. His fields
were flat, biggest concern was front end weight. Our 4320 could climb just about anything with that drill in 6th gear.

Depending on the drill setup, the M likely won't have the hydraulic capacity. It'd likely lift the drill, but they are made to have hydraulic down pressure to maintain down pressure on the openers. I don't
think the M system would handle that.

Yes all of my local co-ops drills have the dolly wheel but like everyone has said and something I was wondering I dont know if the hydraulics can handle it what exactly does having the Down pressure do? I dont know much about any of the modern drills

As far as just pulling it, I think
you'd be OK. You may end up in first
gear.
No till drills usually require
constant hydraulic flow to maintain
it's down pressure. If this drill is
like that, and your M don't have that
hydraulic capability (which I doubt it
does), then that part of it is going
to be an issue, and probably not going
to work. Not very smoothly, if you try
to just work around that issue.

A heavy duty mounted or semi mounted seed drill used to plant grains and beans into cropland that has not been tilled since the previous crop. They are an excellent erosion control machine, and save several passes over the field. The seed openers are pushed into the ground hydraulically, hence the heavy structure of the drill and seed openers.

Ben

cvphoto114535.jpg

john deere 1590 no till drill

Another thought is to use a conventional drill and pull a Brillion or similar roller. I did this for years with good results

Nope no way , i would not even try it with my S/MTA weighed down . A 706 weighted down lacks the poney power on rolling ground let lone the hills . , ya need around 95 horses and a tractor weighing in at around 12-14000. lbs . I know the county drill we have does not have the dolly wheel on the ft. and the draw bar on my 806 does not like it at all .

Is your M set up for 2 way hydraulics?? Most likely the drill is, so if your M set up for one way, it wouldn't work. Does the co-op have a place that you could hook onto the drill and see if you can lift it and pull it before dragging it home, putting seed in it and then finding out it won't work? I think you would be far ahead to get a smaller one to try first.

If you could get a Great plains drill to use it would probably pull it easier. Though I doubt the hydraulics again. will lift it. For alfalfa seed I would just disc it then plant with a packer/roller just something to make sure it is covered slightly. After all for decades we planted seedings with just the seeder dribbling it on top as we sowed oats or wheat in the same field at the same time. Most hay seeding does not really need to be planted very deep just under the surface is deep enough. Early spring seedings of clover used to be put on with a horn and walked on early morning before the frost thawed each morning till the field was sowed. Dad and I used to use 2 of them walk back and forth across the field like you would plant moving over each pass. Could your coop plant it for you mixed with the fertilizer? Burn it off before planting then plant you could just scratch it over with a disc or heavy drag to get a bit of loose dirt then plant.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back