Wind turbine overspeed failure

buickanddeere

Well-known Member


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14tBwO5QVQ&NR=1

At about 5 seconds there may have been a total brake failure either from fade or due to the generator/gearbox centrifugal explosion.15 seconds time, one of the blade tips at about the 3 o'clock position goes supersonic and shatters. The hub/nacelle now unbalanced lets another blade impact and crease the tower causing structural collapse.
The three techs probably made it down the tower and 1/2 a mile away in Olympic record time.
Early reports are of bearing failure in the hub which prevented feathering the blades. Insufficient maintenance and cost cutting is the likely cause.
Vestas is going to get blamed anyways, their price and demand will drop.
 
When I was in high school Dad built his own wind generators. Then in some big storm in mid-winter they went overspeed and the blades flew apart. My theory is ice on the blades took 'em out of balance, they should have had no trouble handling the speed.

It's just about the sick feeling you get right after you wreck a car, get out, and inspect the damage. A lot like that anyway.
 
When I was in high school Dad built his own wind generators. Then in some big storm in mid-winter they went overspeed and the blades flew apart. My theory is ice on the blades took 'em out of balance, they should have had no trouble handling the speed.

It's just about the sick feeling you get right after you wreck a car, get out, and inspect the damage. A lot like that anyway.
 
I can not get to the video. How do you make the youturbe arress a link?. I type in the address bat but youtube rir not accept. I tried to highlight but could not get anywhere. HELP Please.

Kent
 

I believe it was Admiral Byrd that placed a Hobbs 3-blade wind generator down at the south pole and left it there. Some 60 years later another expedition re-visited the site and there was the old Hobbs ...... still turning with the wind! :shock: I realize that these modern ones are much larger and made of the latest materials but ..... SIXTY YEARS!? As I recall, Mr. Hobbs had dozens of patents relating to windmills and his company was renowned for making the 'Cadillac' of wind machines at the time.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top