Windows fogging on all glass control tower when its cold out

plow hand

I have a control tower at work 7'x7'x7'with about 80% glass now that winter is right around the corner the windows fog when its cold out...30 degrees and colder...I have 2 110 volt heaters in there it gets good and warm but windows still fog it has single pane thick glass...any ideas? it has a rooftop ac unit on it ..of course it does not function below 60 degrees..just curious ..if it had the heat pump option would that help?(might be a question for an RVer)..thanks in advance..

Try a dehumidifier, and maybe some fans to keep the air moving across the glass.

I don't think a heat pump would be any different. It just heats the air, doesn't remove moisture in heat mode.

Agreed, Heat is OK when needed but not in august. Dehumidifiers do make a little heat, and if not connected to a drain, need emptying every day. Jim

Rain X also made an anti fog solution for windows. used it a coupla times when my ac was out during winter.

I ditto you Rain-ex reply. Here is something even more important. Wash all of the windows super sqweeky clean with amonnia! Makes a very big difference. Then put on a couple of coats of Rain-ex anti fog for the inside of windows. A little different than the out side stuff.

Well I don't know if it will work but we just got back from scuba diving. The mask kept fogging up and this guy next to us said try this he said to put some baby shampoo in the mask with a little water rub it around until it dries. Sure enough it never fogged up again. May not work for you but it worked for our mask.

You need to bring in outside air to keep the humidity down. I suggest adding an exhaust fan like you would put in a bathroom, the bigger the better.

It's really very simple. When any material is cold, below dew point, condensation will form. I don't care if it's a cold metal roof or cold windows. When it comes to condensation, you can't get around simple physics.

Lower the humidity and that can help. Look at a car's defroster, blow hot air on window, raise glass temp and fogging will disappear. Try using a fan, blow air against window.

Ventilation. maybe not a lot, depending on how cold it gets.How many occupants? You need air changes if they are supposed to be able to breath.

Same issue why we don't run the heat in our plow trucks in winter. The windows will fog up and freeze inside, so we crack the windows and leave the heat off, and the snow will slide right over the windshield without making ice on the inside

(quoted from post at 19:06:15 08/13/17) Same issue why we don't run the heat in our plow trucks in winter. The windows will fog up and freeze inside, so we crack the windows and leave the heat off, and the snow will slide right over the windshield without making ice on the inside

RBoots, what are you driving that doesn't make enough heat to warm the windshield. 60 years ago truckers used to "freeze the windshield" in order to keep snow from sticking, but everything that I have driven I the last fifty years, could clear the windshield just fine. You may want to check DOT regs. A defroster is of course mandatory and I believe that it must be able to defog and melt snow from the whole windshield. You may need to park those trucks!

If the snow is heavy enough no defroster can keep the windshield thawed. Ever been in a snowstorm so bad that the ice builds up on the wipers, and you have to get out periodically and slap them against the windshield? That's where the defrosters can't keep up.

In a plow truck you are in a constant severe snowstorm even if the sun is shining. Snow is coming up over the hood and landing right on the windshield, every time you bust through a drift, or shove another blade full up on the pile.

(quoted from post at 06:01:09 08/14/17) If the snow is heavy enough no defroster can keep the windshield thawed. Ever been in a snowstorm so bad that the ice builds up on the wipers, and you have to get out periodically and slap them against the windshield? That's where the defrosters can't keep up.

In a plow truck you are in a constant severe snowstorm even if the sun is shining. Snow is coming up over the hood and landing right on the windshield, every time you bust through a drift, or shove another blade full up on the pile.

"Ever been in a snowstorm so bad that the ice builds up on the wipers, and you have to get out periodically and slap them against the windshield? That's where the defrosters can't keep up."

Yes, many, many, times. I grew up deep in snow country and been driving in very heavy, as in three inches per hour snow storms all of my life. We used to have to stop to beat the ice off the blades and edge of the windshields until we started using winter blades. My defrosters have never had a problem keeping the windshield warm.

Winter is around the corner??? Really?
According to my calendar, it is mid august, which leaves FIVE MORE WEEKS OF SUMMER. Following that is another NINETY DAYS OF AUTUMN. So, where do you get that "winter around the corner" stuff? Do you live above the arctic circle??

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back