Winter outside storage?

Copeland

Member
I'd really appreciate some advice. A 1952 Farmall Cub just sort of fell into my lap when a neighbor moved away. My sheds are so full I couldn't fit another thing in there, so it looks like this one will have to sit outside until spring when I get another shed built. Problem is, I live in northern Iowa where it gets pretty darn cold until about April. Other than making sure the antifreeze is good, is there anything else I should do to minimize damage to the tractor from being out in the cold? I was going to put a car tarp over it, but I was told this might trap moisture in there and cause all sort of problems. Thanks for letting me know what you'd suggest I do to help this Cub survive the winter. Oh - Merry Christmas, everyone! Jeff
 
I tarp my tractors here in western NY and don't have a problem trapping moisture. I only cover down the sides to the underside of the tractor and not to the ground. Never had a problem doing that other than holding the tarp to the tractor in a wind storm.
 
Make sure antifreeze is strong enough for coldest anticipated temperature. Make sure exhaust is covered with something that will stay put (not an oversized tin can that can easily be blown off). Park someplace in the sun, not in the shade (not under a tree, north side of a building). You want the sun to hit it, if its out. Maybe disconnect one battery cable if not going to be in use. If parking on dirt, especially if parking someplace where it stays wet, you might park it so tires are on top of wood boards.
I never worry about the gas if I plan to drive it in the spring. I never worry about tarps. They attract rodents. But you may want to cover the sheet metal (hood, grill, gas tank) if your concerned about new paint fading in the sun light. If not new paint, I wouldn't worry about it. I store 5 outside this way, with no problems.
 
Make sure the exhaust is well covered (with a soup can or whatever) so water can't get down the pipe.

Not completely necessary, but you could try cracking open the transmission drain plug to see if any water comes out. If so, drain off the water.
 
I bought some 16x16 concrete landscaping pads to drive it up on from Home Depot . I dont know if it helped but the tires dont sink in as much !
Might !
 
Not sure on the Cubs but rain water can run down the shift lever on other Farmall models and fill the transmission with water. A garbage bag over the lever can help.
Dennis
 
as to water down the shifter leaver.
I have nearly eliminated that by a rubber boot design, that I installed under the steel shifter leaver bell cap, over 5 years ago. Since our tractor sits out side and is used on a regular basis throughout the winter to hall a trailer and snow blower from neighbour to neighbour to clear lanes and in the summer for other purposes. I use an old tarp to cover the engine area that is left open above the IHC wind Breaker [for the winter] and over the muffler and air breather which holds tarp off the engine for the most part. We have a Farmall BN just so that you know the make and model.
Wm.
 
I have used a good tarp and anchor it to the ground with cement blocks so the wind doesn't blow it around. When I have used ropes, they seem to let the tarp whip around and eventually starts tearing it apart. Thus the cement blocks to keep it really tight.
 
IF one were to bolt a few 2x4's together to make a sort of peaked shape over the tractor and then screwed some steel to them it would keep the water out and open on the ends would let the wind keep it dry from humidity snow rain and weather would be kept out It would need to be held down to the ground so it might need a few pieces fastened to it so a rope or chain could tie it to the ground tree or the tractor itself from under the protection.
 

As much as none of us likes to see it, the fact is that hundreds of tractors all over the country have sat outside in all kinds of weather for years. Not an ideal situation, but it happens. As long as the anti-freeze is up to strength and the exhaust is covered it'll be fine.
It'll get just as cold inside a building, just won't get any snow on it.
They sit outside on dealer's lots.
 

What does anyone think about removing plugs and putting a couple ounces of oil in each cylinder and turn engine over a couple times with out starting to spread it around?
 
Hi, Everyone - thank you so much for all the great advice. After reading your comments, I'm going to put a tarp over it, keep the tarp in place with concrete blocks, make sure no moisture can go down the exhaust or shifter, and then just call it good and wait it out until spring. This is what I love about this site -- all the great knowledge that everyone shares with everyone else. Thank you -- and bless you all. And, Happy New Year to everyone! Jeff
 
Unheated buildings get just as cold as outside in the winter, no matter how well insulated you have them. Anything you do to the ones you keep inside, will work on the one that has to stay outside.

These tractors were left in snowbanks all winter long for decades and didn't "die." Like everyone else has said, make sure the antifreeze is good and cover the exhaust. Tarp or don't tarp, it's up to you. On a metal machine like a Cub, I don't see how "trapped moisture" is any different than "untrapped moisture" that it's going to get if left untarped. Trapping moisture is only an issue on something wood framed where mold might grow.

Your main worries will be the tarp scratching paint, or the tractor rubbing through the tarp.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top