Wiring Problems

Lbutch

New User
I have a 1950 Farmall M I got this in a trade. I noticed the wires were in bad shape so I put new ones on one at a time. New plugs and wires. Changed the oil so when I tried to start it I got sparks from the push button starting switch.
mvphoto108374.jpg

mvphoto108375.jpg

mvphoto108376.jpg

This post was edited by Lbutch on 08/08/2023 at 02:30 pm.

Please identify (picture?) what you are calling the pushbutton starting switch. Were
there sparks before you changed oil? Did it run before you started changing to new wires and before you changed oil?

The more information you provide, the easier it is to offer help.

Yes it was running before I put new wires on it. The wiring harness is pretty simple thats why I m confused. The picture is the front and the back of the push button start switch.
mvphoto108379.jpg

mvphoto108380.jpg

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Make sure you have the tractor in neutral, unhook the wire from the switch to starter and apply power direct to the starter terminal and see if it turns. If it does, I would suspect a bad switch or the cable got cut and grounded during installation. Another possibility is that the stud in the starter turned and shorted during cable installation.

Sorry here is a proper greeting, Butch welcome to YT!
You can either do what Jim has suggested about the
direct power to the starter motor. Or just pull the
cables off the starter switch sand them a bit and
reinstall an make sure they are good and snug. Then
try again. My guess is you will have the same results.
Was that starer switch in there before and working? If
it is new the cheap overseas junk you get now days
has a very poor reputation for reliability. I do not know
where to direct you for a good one. Interesting diode
on that alternator bracket, must work. You should have
never showed these guys your carbon core spark plug
wires. Someone will be along to tell you it will never
run with those. PS.. they will work fine.

IF it will start when you push the starter button. Then dies when you let go, the little wire is on the wrong side of the starter switch Had that happen here one time when some wiring was being done on the H. IT was put on the starter side instead of the battery side of the switch.

If the switch itself is arcing I would say it is bad. If it is arcing at the cable connection then clean and tighten it. If it is a new switch I would not be surprised that it is bad as the new ones are
very cheaply made. All the switch does is take voltage in and when the switch is engaged it passes the voltage to the started to engage it.

I know you say it has been running, but in the first picture, technically and perhaps more efficiently the long white resistor should be mounted between the switch and input to the coil, not between the output of coil and input to side of distributor. A wiring diagram should show it this way.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back