Wisconsin VH4D

Vincent C

Hello all,
Question. I have a Wisconsin VH4D engine that I just tuned up. Unfortunately I had to remove the distributor to install the points. It needs to be timed but the distributor doesnt turn in a typical manor. The book refers to timing with a light and I have the fly marked to do so. I just dont know how to advance or retard the dwell without this distributors adjustment.

Thanks

from what i remember , there was a clamp at the bottom that u had to loosen to turn it. i have never removed the distributor to install points.

"I just dont know how to advance or retard the dwell without this distributors adjustment.

Dwell and timing are two different things, point gap determines dwell, set point gap first, as point gap also affects spark timing, then set spark timing.

Wisconsin used several types of distributors/distributor drives, with all that I've seen timing is easily adjustable by loosening the clamp bolt on the "tab" that secures the distributor and rotating the distributor as required, then securing the clamp bolt. (Verify that timing hasn't changed after doing this.)
Link to manual, look on Page 13.

Dwell is the length of time that the points stay closed - expressed in degrees of distributor rotation. Dwell is determined by point gap and distributor cam profile.

Timing is the point in the cycle that the points open and thus cause a spark. This is synchronized with the crankshaft position to produce the spark at the correct time to fire the cylinder.

To correctly set up your engine, you must first set the points gap correctly and fine adjust it to get the correct dwell angle. Then, with the #1 cylinder on TDC of the compression stroke, install the distributor so that the rotor points to the #1 position. Then, you may adjust it to specification using a timing light.

Hello Jim,
My bad for the dwell comment. I have set my points and installed the distributor as indicated at #1. It is idling rough. As everyone has commented to turn the distributor it is rock hard. There is a slotted bolt at the bottom but it wont turn running or idle. It doesnt pivot like a car distributor. How can i modify the timing if i cant rotate the distributor?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back