Wont turn left

My 140 wont turn left. I was mowing and all of a sudden is wont turn left it will turn to the right just fine. It feels like there is something inside the gearbox that is binding or keeping it from turning. Does anyone have any suggestions before I tear into it.

Worm and sector gear steering. Probably water in the gear box and the upper bearing may be rusted and won't allow it to turn. Before I'd take it apart, remove drain plug and fill plug and flush with diesel fuel. Raise front axle and fill box with diesel again and try turning all the way left and right and work it back and forth alot. When I say fill, I mean right to the top, not the level plug. I believe that box has three plugs, drain, level, fill. I have seen lots of water come out of those boxes over the years. If you get it working right then I always install a grease zerk where the level p!ug is and drill a breather hole in the fill plug and pump the box full of grease. The box will hold about two and a half tubes. When its full the grease will come out the breather hole. Have never seen a broken tooth on those gears but always a first possible. Also grease the axle spindles good as they can get very tight from non greasing. Good luck

had the same problem with a 120. Nut on the end of the shaft came loose and wouldn't hold the shaft in place to turn the worm gear, just climb up it and out. Steering box is the only place to look for issues.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back