Wood Deck Replacement

guido

Hello,

I need to replace my wood deck 12x16. ANY suggestions or hints would be appreciated? Deconstruction is what I usually don't do. The planks are screwed to the bottom beams, and the perimeter boards. Some of the screws are right under the rails. Doubt it I can unscrew them. May be not the rest either. I don't need to save the wood. It is pressure treated lumber. What is the best way to attack this?

Guido.

I'd try unscrewing it. That's how I dismantled most of my old porch to make way for my new addition. I took the air hose out and cleaned all the dirt out of the screws so I could get a decent bite. They either unscrewed or twisted off.

If you can get all the screws out of a plank except under the rail, you should be able to pry it loose from the last screw or 2..

My son is a carpenter and has done a lot of decks but I don't remember any tear off's. Yy suggestion wood be to unscrew all you can ,tear off the boards and cut off the reaming screws with an angle grinder and steel cut off wheel.
He is currently installing a porch and 1oX38 deck using Genova products. Very expensive but lifetime guaranty almost water proof and recommended by several sources. I am impressed with this product. You will need a screw gun with an impact feature to drive the screws.
Lakeguy

I did just that on my back door step a couple years ago. It was small, only a 4x6 landing by the kitchen door. The cedar decking was solid, but worn out. I got about half the screws out with a drill/driver, and most of the others twisted off at the joist. Those that didn't twist off I just busted the wood away from the screw and went in with a side cutter. The screws under the rail mostly got the side cutter treatment, though I could get at a couple with the drill/driver good enough to get them out. Replaced the cedar with a composite, so I had to add joists to meet the 16 inch joist spacing for the composite.

Reciprocating saw with a 10 inch demolition blade.
I use one when taking down old corrals and wind breaks.
Much faster and easier than ripping and tearing.

Hi Guido,
I'm in the process of adding to my deck which is cedar on a treated pine frame. I installed it twenty years ago and replaced the original cedar deck boards five years ago. On the original deck boards, I used screws to attach them to the frame. These allowed moisture to penetrate the boards and cause deterioration. When I replaced them, I used a deck fastener called TigerClaw. This is an added expense, but it makes a better looking deck and rain does not penetrate through the top of the board.
Butch

If you don't care about the wood - take a chainsaw to it. Where you're liable to hit screws and other metal, use a reciprocating saw with a demolition blade.

Hello woodbhtcher,

Yep, same problem. My deck is 11 years old. Looking at the new stuff, not cheap!

Guido.

Try using a 1/4 inch impact to remove screws. If that doesn't work, use a circular saw and start cutting and prying boards. If needed use right angle grinder to cut off screws.

You can buy special bits that bite into the screw heads when you try to unscrew them. Check those out.

I hate wood decks ! They don't hold up in the weather and are high maintenance.
I try and use concrete around my place. Only wood steps are under cover in the garage.
Any chance you could redesign to use concrete or even steel ?

Sawzall and fire pit. We just burned the last of my daughters 24 x 36 4 ft high deck. Only took a couple of hours to have it down and sawed to 6 foot lengths for the backyard pit. She lives on a cul-de-sac in a city but fire pits are quite common.

Hello Mike M,

The railing is in good shape, but I would have to get a good base for a concrete slab.
I'm going to keep

the railing, and replace the deck with the new material. Shoud last awhile.......

Guido.

My BIL has cordless drivers that have built in impact feature. These are really nice for removing buggered up screws. I think they are Milwaukee brand. Nice and small too but powerful.

(quoted from post at 01:13:51 10/02/15)
(quoted from post at 08:24:13 09/29/15) Was it PT wood? Watch out for the EPA...

Yes it was - and I do not give a hoot about the EPA.

EPA , PT wood? I am really worried now!

Guido.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back