Woods 10 Foot Bush-Hog. Proper size tractor

68rs327

I have a Farmall 504 tractor (50 HP) and have found a good used Woods 10 trailer type bush hog. Ill be mostly clipping fescue pasture. Is this bush hog to big for the 504? Ironically the guy I bought the 504 from had a 10 bush hog he used and said he had no problem. But, long term use, Im concerned it may be to much bush hog for the 50 HP Farmall 504

If you are just clipping you will be fine,but if you are mowing heavy stuff with a brush hog you ll be in first gear on low Torque. I had an 8 footer behind my 504 Farmall,1st gear going up any grade,second going down hill the other way.My 656 will just play with the same mower. Just remember, a 504 is just a fancy Super C.

Flat or hilly land? I pull my 10ft cutter with a 98HP tractor and its a good fit on my mountain/hill land,plus in heavy brush and grass/weeds it needs the power.Your 504 would be dangerous to use.

You said trailer mower not 3pt that will make a lot of difference on the hills since it is not lifting the front end all the time. I think I would still like more in the are of 80-100 HP on it. I've had lots of times I had to small of a tractor on things and seldom to big of one on a job.

I know it was easy tyo overload my 5 foot mower with my 52 rated PTO HP Fod that actually put out 60 on dyno. You may even have trouble to get blades spinning to proper cutting speed. A Johnd deere 60 even thow it is slightly less than your tractor that is it engine horspower you are using or max PTO HP and that will be a lot different but the Deere the way they are made will have way more tourk on PTO than yours will have. Hate to bust your bubble but for your tractor stick to a 6 foot model.

I pull a 10 ft JD MX10..behind a JD 5420. I use it mainly to clip pastures. My JD tractor is 80 HP, 65 PTO hp. The mower is heavy and pulls hard so the tractor and mower are a good match.. I would not try to use it behind my Massey Ferguson 65...rated at 50 HP

I once ran a 574 (@60hp) with a 10' Bushhog and went thru some very heavy, tall stuff, briars and weeds over my head and it did not bog the tractor. My 485 (@48hp) with my 6' Woods lift type will go thru pretty heavy fescue in 2nd low and not bat an eye. Power wise you are probably on the the edge if you mow heavy tall stuff. If you are on hills, I would want a heavier tractor. But flat land, light clipping, I think you would be ok. Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back