Worth of an old MF 12 square baler.

davida

What would a MF 12 twin baler be worth?

It has been kept in the barn so very little rust. Bale chamber is in good shape, plunger knives are sharp and the plunger is tight in the chamber. Cuts the hay well and makes nice bales.

I have baled around 600 bales with it last week, to start with it was missing about half, twin finger was not putting the twin against the bill hook on one side. The other knotter has a rough spot on either with wiper arm or the twin finger. It breaks the string just below the knot.

After the last adjustments were made I baled 70 bales and it missed 2. Really broke the string on 2 bales just below the tied knot.

Unless I am missing something this baler pulls the twin off of the bill hooks instead of wiping it off like the Ford and New Holland balers do. If it wipes it off then there is something missing but please correct me if I am wrong about the twin being pulled off.

Location is North Central Alabama.

One needle has been broken and welded back. looks like it was repaired well and a long time ago.

I have not worked out a price on the baler yet. I just want some opinions and would like to know if replacement parts are available.

Unfortunately you made repairs that increased the value of the baler.
I would tell the owner the problems you had but not the repairs you made. Offer him $800 and see if he blinks.

Around here they would not bring much more than scrap which is a shame. I see that happening to a lot of older farm implements as they are now too small, parts are obsolete, or the manufacturer no longer exists. The only older square balers that bring any amount of money are Deere and New Holland.

I owned a Massy model 12 baler. Used it for about 10 years. I traded it in 97. I had the same problem you are describing. If memory serves me correctly the problem is the twine knife is out of adjustment and not cutting the knot off the bill hook. I THINK if you will shargen the twine knife and adjust it about 1/16 of an inch that will fix your problem. To your original question it is worth what you and the current owner agree to and or can live with.

JWalker

Thanks I will check the hay dog.

I plan on doing some work on it this winter. The feeder fork pivot points could use some work, to loose. Probably end up doing it the day before I use it again but I can hope.

I sharpened the knives and thought the were adjusted but I will check them again.

They are probably like most the other parts. I have found the books are useful but on wore parts you cannot adjust it to the the book, you have to make the final adjustments in the field to compensate for ware.

Wish I had the New Holland 315 I sold a few years ago. That was a beast compared to the MF 12 and a 532 Ford I have ran. I quit farming a few years after my father died and just now getting back into it on a small scale now that I have a little more time, kids getting older and land of my own. Just have a few cow and want hay for them and a little to sale if I have it to spare.

Turns out the owner only wanted $500.00 for it. Since I sold 100 bales out of the field and have close to 500 in the barn I don't think I will loose money on it even if it never ties another bale.

I think he thought the one knotter was wore out and would not tie again with out some new parts.

I meant to ask, does the odd shape of the twin knifes have anything to do with wiping the knot off of the bill hook? the knives I am used to are flat, these have a large section angled down, or up I cannot remember for sure.

I cannot see where it does but there has to be a reason for the shape of the knife. It has to aid in something I just don't know what.

I really traded these. I gave a neighbor 100 bales, if he picked them up out of the field, for letting my few cows stay with his bull for 2 months.

I have been trying to sell the hay out of the barn for $3.00 a bale. Hay is coastal Bermuda mixed with a little orchard grass and fescue.

All I have sold so far is for yard decorations. Had a few folks call and ask if it is horse hay. I tell them I would feed it to my horse. When they find out its not green they don't want it. They are looking for $6.00 hay for $3.00.

Most around here advertise horse hay in the barn for $4.00 to $6.00 a bale in the barn. Cow hay from $3.00 to $4.00.

I don't care if I sell it or not. If I don't the cows will still eat it next year.

Take into accoutn I have not had my MF12 for a long time. If memory serves me correctly the twin knife actually cuts the twine off the bill hook. That is why it is so hard to adjust.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back