YM1700 Starting Problems SOLVED

Hi guys been hiding for a while figured that this little tidbit might help someone else.

For the last year my tractor was getting harder and harder to start.

First to be replaced was the battery since i was burning it up trying to start the tractor. Replaced it with a monster (same one used to start my 92 Dodge Cummins truck).
That helped a little but not so much.

I was getting ready to go buy a starter thinking that it's just that worn out. I took the starter off and put it up on the work bench. Figure if I'm gonna replace it I might as well look inside...

As I was taking it apart I removed the short braded wire from the starter solenoid. I noticed that there was some significant corrosion on the terminal and the spade connector. I also noticed that the front of the starter that mates to the bell housing was oxidized. I went back out to the tractor to find a significant amount of rust had built up where the starter mates to the bell housing.

For giggles I cleaned the bell housing, starter and cable. After putting a thin film of dielectric grease on all the connecting surfaces I reinstalled the starter. Go figure it cranked right up without even touching the decompression lever.

I figured I mention this since we always check the cables, grounds and other obvious things but less than 30 minutes of wrench time saved me a few hundred bucks.

Pictures below will show where I cleaned and greased.
<ATTACHMENT filename="back of solenoid.jpg" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>back of solenoid.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT><ATTACHMENT filename="starter.jpg" index="1"><s>[attachment=1]</s>starter.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

And unfortunately it does get to live outside with just a tarp covering it when not in use. This next year the wife has asked if she can start the refurbishing process. Anyone have a service manual in PDF format?

38474_8b0f7302ac207eb2aee3319ff5ff017e.jpg

38474_823be20890f31eefef925dfafdc0e149.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back