You Asked For It

TheOldHokie

Well nobody actually asked but I liked the idea so I popped for a "build your own" Neway valve seat cutter "kit" for the L-head. It contains a 30/45 and 60 degree narrowing cutter, standard and .001 over pilots for 11/32 and 5/16 guides, and the tee handle. I'll shortly add a few "accessories" like a tube of engineer's blue, cutting oil, and a 11/32 valve guide reamer (I discovered the new guide I purchased for QC is has an undersize ridge at the top edge!!!). Quick check on an old block confirms it makes very quick work of both intake and exhaust valves. If you are doing a valve job and can't take your block to an engine shop put the lapping compound down and step away from the engine..... The kit can be rented for a modest fee plus a security deposit just to be sure it comes back home. If I live long enough it might even pay for itself before I check out ;-)

TOH

ValveSeatCutterKit_1.jpg

ValveSeatCutterKit_2.jpg

Now, this is a timely post!

Because of a dearth of decent machine shops around me, I've been thinking of getting just such a set myself.

What diameter cutters did you order?

do you have a part number list for your "kit" so I can get an exact copy?

I'm thinking it would make a great Christmas present to myself!

Thanks-

(quoted from post at 18:39:10 11/16/20) Now, this is a timely post!

Because of a dearth of decent machine shops around me, I've been thinking of getting just such a set myself.

What diameter cutters did you order?

do you have a part number list for your "kit" so I can get an exact copy?

I'm thinking it would make a great Christmas present to myself!

Thanks-

Here are the pieces. I screwed up and ordered the 5/16 pilots on the first go round by mistake and had to place a second order for the 11/32 ones. The standard pilot is probably all you need but I got an oversize just in case I ever had to deal with a worn guide. You can save almost $100 if you order the 3 blade double angle cutter instead of the five.

TOH
[code:1:bf92a796ae]
0.312" (7.95mm) Neway Tapered Pilot - 140 Series 140-516-000
0.313" (7.98mm) Neway Tapered Pilot - 140 Series 140-516001
0.343" (8.71mm) Neway Tapered Pilot - 140 Series 140-1132-000
0.344" (8.74mm) Neway Tapered Pilot - 140 Series 140-1132001
Neway Valve Seat Cutter 1-1/2" - 30 x 45 - 5 Blades CU626
Valve Seat Cutter 1-1/4" - 60 CU270
Neway T-Wrench, 1/2" Hex Metal TW503
Neway Cutter Case - 6 Cutters CA160
[/code:1:bf92a796ae]

I love my NewWay, I do motorcycle heads and some Kawi and Briggs OHV as well as flatheads. When I did my 3cyl 3000 I turned a burnt valve down for pilot duty.

Local HP pulling tractor shop said my seats were out .010 from the NewWay and charged me $55 re-cut ting them when they did my cylinder bore on a 14hp Kohler single cyl. Ive never had an issue. Machinist said the motor wouldve only been putting out 12hp with my valve job.

I recently bought an old valve grinding machine & a new Neway set of seat cutters, then had to order an 11/32" stem. It took WAY longer & a LOT more explaining to get the extra stem, but has been worth it!

(quoted from post at 20:01:55 11/16/20) I recently bought an old valve grinding machine & a new Neway set of seat cutters, then had to order an 11/32" stem. [b:ae565dbcdd]It took WAY longer & a LOT more explaining to get the extra stem, but has been worth it![/b:ae565dbcdd]

I purchased the Neway tools from Cylinder Head Supply which is a stocking distributor. They had no problem with my order for additional pilots and ithey actually arrived with the order i placed a day earlier. I was VERY impressed by their online ordering system and lightning quick shipping.

TOH

I teach my students with Neway cutters and have for quite a few years. Very good quality. I'm not fond of the T handle. They make a a tool that rotates and works much better in my opinion. I've never had a problem purchasing from Neway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back