KL in Wi

Through the years, I've ordered parts through them and have had very good results. My last venture was slightly different. I ordered kits for the hyd pump and cylinder on my 8N Ford. Everything went fine until I needed to put the safety valve in. The plunger on the end of the spring which needs to go in first was made wrong. The O.D. of the plunger is larger than the I.D of the threads it has to go past to seat. I did some measuring and the plunger od is over .015" larger than the id of the threads. I called waited almost 3/4 of an hour to talk to someone. I explained the problem and he seemed to understand. Said he would send out another. Received the other one, same problem. Called again. Explained the problem and they said, so the threads are wrong. Me, No, the threads are correct. The plunger on the end of the spring was ground wrong. The od is too big, it won't go past the threads. Them so, youre saying that the threads are not correct. Me, no, the threads are correct the plunger is Is wrong. The od is too large, it won't go in the hole. They said hang on I'm going to get one. They looked at it and we discussed it. They saw the plunger, I said that part was made wrong, the od is too large it won't fit in the whole. Do you understand? Them, yes, I understand. I'm going to discuss this with our mfg, I'll get back to you. About 8 hours later this same person called back saying the mfg has been making this valve for years and they said they have never changed the thread size. I'm patient but, it's wearing off. They they said, What you might need to do is, drill the hole in your housing to a larger size and re-tap it. Patience now about gone but still talking nice. I said I told you there is nothing wrong with the threads, nothing has to be drilled and re-tapped. The plunger is ground wrong, the od of the plunger is incorrect. Them, well, I don't know what to tell you. I'm thinking that they are lucky it's over 1800 miles between us because if they were within 50 miles of me, I would let a 2x4 do the talking. Finally I said, I'll put the old one back in I'll need credit for that valve. Get ready!!! I was told that I couldn't get credit because they didn't charge me for it. AAAARGH. I told her, well, I paid for the first one and I can't use either one. I want credit for it. Finally, OK we will credit you for it. I asked if they were going to send a recall tag for the two valves. No, just throw them away!!!!! Question. Did I not explain it well enough or do some people need to get a different job.

The MFG. was likely in China. Communication is extra hard. But the person of first contact was not understanding it either.
Over the years I have seen a lot of aftermarket and even lately OEM parts that are not made correctly. Just a little bit of extra effort and it would of been perfect. I can't believe they go to all the trouble of making some of these parts and then don't take a few more minutes to do it right.

Very common for after market parts to be made wrong, and anyone working at a parts supply would know that by the end of their first day.

Many, most counter people only know take the order, enter the info, get the payment, pass it on to shipping.
Problem solving is someone else job. Ask for customer service, if they can't help, return it.

Then I would call around, find another supplier and ask who their supplier of that part is, and if they have had a problem with that part, or if someone could check the part before shipping.

I've been looking for the left CV axle for my Mini Countryman - and 3 different suppliers ALL have supplied a shaft about 2 inches too short! Each was made a different way - but all three were too short. Curiously, the right side fit perfect.

It is just a curiosity to me that several manufacturers were all making a part with the same wrong size!

Good luck on your pump!

Howard

I was a manufacturers rep in the plumbing and heating industry for 13 years. At one time I represented a chemical company out of the Midwest who decided to get into the plastic pipe solvent weld business. I sold some to a customer that put the product in her unheated warehouse, during cold weather,and proceeded to sell it to her customers. After the product had sat a while in the cold warehouse, it turned snotty. It no longer flowed like it should. I called the manufacturer and started getting a runaround, "that couldn't happen". I asked it they had a customer near them and could they go and check how the product is doing? They finally agreed to do so after a lot of conversation. The next day I got a phone call, "We seem to have a problem". I also bought a part for my Saturn S car that had been manufactured in a mirror image of the correct part. These things do happen, what makes a difference is how the manufacturer deals with a problem. For this reason, I will never buy a Taurus firearm. Apparently, some of them work as intended, but the ones that do not do not seem to be a problem with Taurus.

It's not just trying to get parts, it's anything you try to do anymore. It's either you can't quite understand there use of the English language very well or they talk so low and won't speak up so you can hear them or they just plain don't know what they are talking about. I'm finding it very frustrating to do business with any one over the telephone any more. And in person sometimes I would like to strangle them for their ignorance. Oh well that's my rant. Good Luck.

This is an interesting discussion for me. My work life always involved quality of products and/or service and contact with customers. I am a strong believer in the words of Dr. Edward W. Demming..."Quality is free". When he could not convince USA manufactures, he went to Japan and taught them about quality. About 30 years later, we woke up to the fact and began making changes. I retired almost 13 years ago. I hope that we do not fall back to our old ways (now many cheap parts from China) of dubious quality.

I recently ordered a lot of engine parts to overhaul an old tractor. No matter where I ordered the parts, they all came from a different direction and with a different return address than the seller. I began to think all the parts came out of the same factory. One pot of soup, but lots of different labels on the cans.

I hear what you are saying. I ordered a manifold for my motorcycle. It arrived machined wrong. I called the dealer. He needed to see a picture, like I just fell off the hay truck going through town, and I didn't know what I was talking about. No picture. I just sent it back today. Another thing I have noticed dealing with people the older I look the stupider they must think I am. Stan

A couple years ago I ordered a fuel pump for an Allis Chalmers forklift.

I ordered the right pump, the box had the right number, but the wrong pump in the box.

I sent it back, had to pay a 20% restock fee and return postage.

Ordered another pump from a different company, different address, other side of the country.

The very next day, here came the pump...

The exact same one I had returned the day before!

Another 20% restock and return postage!!!

I still don't know how that happened, it should have been still in transit back to the original seller!

Third try, different seller... This time I held on to the wrong pump until I got the next one. It was right.

When I worked at Deere dealer I needed a part for the power steering in a 630. The part had a half moon key way machined in it. The machined slot was done at a slight angle so key layed side ways just a little bit. Enough it would bind up in mating part.

Order another, same thing, order another , same thing. We called parts warehouse and had them look at one they had in stock. They said it looked fine. Got it and it was the same misaligned keyway. I took a file to the edge of key and used the part. It worked fine but we all knew it was not right. Genuine John Deere part but the warehouse had no idea what they were looking at.

That was kind of my point. They don't know what a part should look like but just tell the parts dept it is fine.

That was kind of my point. They don't know what a part should look like but just tell the parts dept it is fine and they make it sound like I don't know what I am talking about.

Amen. Competence is an obsolete word....but don't hurt anyone's feelings. People that say incompetence is mostly at the government, haven't been to a store of any kind lately. How a guy could spend half a $million to build a McDonalds then turn it over to a bunch of 16 year olds is beyond me. I really try to support my local hardware store, but their staff is often (usually) of little or almost no help. The feed store staff, not much better. All I am looking for is someone who is basically competent in his job, without a long list of excuses.

I think you are right even parts from dealers come from the same source.Really how many different places are going to be making a part for a 40 year old tractor? Most of the
parts around now for older tractors either come from Tisco or A&I dealers have their catalogs to order from but not their price lists.(LOL)

I order a waterpump for a JD 70 from here, was a replacement for the casting number I had. Anymore one size fits all models, if all the parts are sent. I needed the plug for the bypass line that my tractor doesn't have. YT had no clue what they were selling, it came from A&I so you think they would call NOPE, I had to call A&I to get the plug and pay for it, great forum, not so much on parts.

He needed the picture to have proof to go back to the supplier. No picture no proof. The supplier won?t believe the dealer either.

I go through this on a regular basis. And I work for the supplier, with access to engineering prints. You would think the parts department would believe me when something is wrong? Not a chance.

At times in the past, parts has refused to scrap their inventory that had an issue. I have had a dealer order the entire batch so they could scrap them and we would be done with the junk parts.

When I first glanced down the list of threads I thought the first letter of the second word in this title was a capital F.

(quoted from post at 17:35:52 12/18/19) A couple years ago I ordered a fuel pump for an Allis Chalmers forklift.

I ordered the right pump, the box had the right number, but the wrong pump in the box.

I sent it back, had to pay a 20% restock fee and return postage.

Ordered another pump from a different company, different address, other side of the country.

The very next day, here came the pump...

The exact same one I had returned the day before!

Another 20% restock and return postage!!!

I still don't know how that happened, it should have been still in transit back to the original seller!

Third try, different seller... This time I held on to the wrong pump until I got the next one. It was right.

I had the same problem with a parts supplier except it was a water pump for a 6.5 diesel.

The part was correct but the pump was defective.

The shaft would turn about 3/4 of the way around then bind so hard that you could not turn it with a big pair of pliers.

Got ahold of them, told them what the problem was and sent it back, they sent another pump out which was good.

A few months later another 6.5 came in needing a water pump, sure enough the pump they sent was the defective one I had sent back a few months before, it had my plier marks on the hub so I knew it was the same one.

Same story, they sent another and all was well.

Fast forward another few months and sure enough the same pump was once again sent to the shop.

This time I took a jiffy marker and wrote some not so nice things all over the part and on the box in large letters and sent it back.

The next time the sales rep stopped by the shop he mentioned it was difficult for them to return the part to their warehouse with what I had scribbled on the box and asked that I not do it again.

Told him nothing else was getting the point across and yes I had gone to extremes but at least the part was finally out of the system.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back