1963 Ford 4000 Gas carburetor trouble. Any suggestions??

DLPinnix78

New User
I have my late grandfathers 4000 select-o-speed. It sat for a few years and I decided to get it running. It has the Marvel Schebler TSX-813 carburetor. After I got it running the float hung on the carb and flooded it out so I ordered a rebuild kit. I meticulously cleaned it and replaced every part. I set the idle and main jets to 1 and a half turns open. It fires right up like a champ, but if I rev it up over an idle it won't run without the choke being almost closed. I believe a vacuum leak would cause it not to idle perfectly without the choke, and I can not locate a leak. I've sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb and intake manifold and nothing changed. My next thought was to check the timing and plugs since it flooded before. It has a Pertronix ignition kit so no points to check.

And if anyone knows a Select-O-Speed expert let me know, I have a PTO issue as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello DL, welcome to YT. I’m a not a Ford guy but I am going to use a little sarcasm on you. Do you think Moses brought that 1 and a half turn setting down on a stone and handed it off to Henry? That is just an initial setting for the main jet, the one that comes down at an angle in front with the big head on it. Turn it out another half turn see if it is better, if not give it another 1/2. I don’t have Fords but on an IH with it setting running wide open you can crank it out until it is rich enough to start giving the exhaust a black tinge. Then you know you’re in the “rich” area. Then you turn it back in and play with it till your happy. Timing, mechanical advance in the distributor and spark plugs are all part of it running well in the end.

Hello DL, welcome to YT. I’m a not a Ford guy but I am going to use a little sarcasm on you. Do you think Moses brought that 1 and a half turn setting down on a stone and handed it off to Henry? That is just an initial setting for the main jet, the one that comes down at an angle in front with the big head on it. Turn it out another half turn see if it is better, if not give it another 1/2. I don’t have Fords but on an IH with it setting running wide open you can crank it out until it is rich enough to start giving the exhaust a black tinge. Then you know you’re in the “rich” area. Then you turn it back in and play with it till your happy. Timing, mechanical advance in the distributor and spark plugs are all part of it running well in the end.
Of coarse I tried adjusting the main jet. It shut off when I closed it, and it didn't change as I opened it more.

Last edited:
I very well could have. It fell out when I got the carb apart and the drawing that came with the kit looked like a copy of a copy of a copy if you know what I mean. Is it big end up or down??
Air flows into the small end and out he big end, so, big end up.

Sounds like the venturi may be in backwards.
This is a N series carb, but this shows it pretty good.
IMG_3939.png

So it idled and ran at speed OK until you you had the float issue? And now it idles OK but won't run any faster than at an idle? I'm trying to square that with your statement "...I tried adjusting the main jet. It shut off when I closed it, and it didn't change as I opened it more." At idle, adjusting the main jet shouldn't have any effect; you should be able to screw it all the way in and continue to idle. So I have to assume you actually turned in the idle screw, not the main jet adjustment.

Did your repair kit come with a new main jet adjuster? So do and some don't. I installed a kit in my carb that came with a new main jet adjuster and it turned out to be defective, although in my case it was running rich rather than lean. If you changed the adjuster and still have the old one, try re-installing the old adjuster and see what happens.

I have my late grandfathers 4000 select-o-speed. It sat for a few years and I decided to get it running. It has the Marvel Schebler TSX-813 carburetor. After I got it running the float hung on the carb and flooded it out so I ordered a rebuild kit. I meticulously cleaned it and replaced every part. I set the idle and main jets to 1 and a half turns open. It fires right up like a champ, but if I rev it up over an idle it won't run without the choke being almost closed. I believe a vacuum leak would cause it not to idle perfectly without the choke, and I can not locate a leak. I've sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb and intake manifold and nothing changed. My next thought was to check the timing and plugs since it flooded before. It has a Pertronix ignition kit so no points to check.

And if anyone knows a Select-O-Speed expert let me know, I have a PTO issue as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
All gassers need to be ran at least 5 gallons a month to stay healthy ,, The more You run them The better and more ffiecient they become ,,. And then You can really fine tune the engines ,, Unless You hear a whistle You do not have a vacuum leak ,,. This is not a 289 V-8 . I think You might have the venturi in upside down , All the M/S carbs around here will allow i to go either way ,,.. And they will run too .., but stammer ,,. Guess How I know

Do you have good fuel flow to the carb? Sitting for a long period may have created rust flakes in the gas tank causing restricted flow and thus your problem. Take the gas line off at the carburetor and see if you have good flow for at least one minute.
Dave

All gassers need to be ran at least 5 gallons a month to stay healthy ,, The more You run them The better and more ffiecient they become ,,. And then You can really fine tune the engines ,, Unless You hear a whistle You do not have a vacuum leak ,,. This is not a 289 V-8 . I think You might have the venturi in upside down , All the M/S carbs around here will allow i to go either way ,,.. And they will run too .., but stammer ,,. Guess How I know
Lol, I don’t have to guess!! I learn more by screwing up sometimes!!

Do you have good fuel flow to the carb? Sitting for a long period may have created rust flakes in the gas tank causing restricted flow and thus your problem. Take the gas line off at the carburetor and see if you have good flow for at least one minute.
Dave
Yeah I have a new screen and with the bowl off it pours out. The carb has a good stream out the drain when I open it too.

So it idled and ran at speed OK until you you had the float issue? And now it idles OK but won't run any faster than at an idle? I'm trying to square that with your statement "...I tried adjusting the main jet. It shut off when I closed it, and it didn't change as I opened it more." At idle, adjusting the main jet shouldn't have any effect; you should be able to screw it all the way in and continue to idle. So I have to assume you actually turned in the idle screw, not the main jet adjustment.

Did your repair kit come with a new main jet adjuster? So do and some don't. I installed a kit in my carb that came with a new main jet adjuster and it turned out to be defective, although in my case it was running rich rather than lean. If you changed the adjuster and still have the old one, try re-installing the old adjuster and see what happens.
I had to purchase a new adjuster for the main. The old one snapped before it began to get tight reinstalling it. I was lucky and it snapped at the four ports so it backed out with a straight screw driver. It looked iffy when I took it out like it had been tightened to much and the holes weren’t perfectly round. My guess was it leaked and someone had wrenched on it to stop it. I was turning the main jet on the bottom all the way in at an idle and it shut off, the idle adjustment on top seems to be working correctly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back