1964 Ford 2000 Industrial - without PTO, without 3-point - any need for hydraulic reservoir under seat to be filled?

Mark David

New User
Hi Folks, I just got a 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial tractor. It has the 4 cylinder gas engine and 4-speed transmission.
It has no PTO and no 3-point hitch - as delivered from the factory I'm told - apparently meant just as a loader/backhoe tractor - which is fine for me - I just need a loader that has more lift capacity than my little IH 1050 loader on a Cub LoBoy 185 (500 lbs max lift including the 150 lb bucket...).
It has a loader mounted on it (I believe a model 724) with an add-on high-volume hydraulic pump mounted on the front and powered by a coupler and shaft from the front of the engine - the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the loader is in the frame of the loader.

So, my question is this - Is there any reason that I should put hydraulic fluid, or any other fluid (gear lube to match the trans and diff) in the hydraulic reservoir under the seat that is supposed to be for the "factory"/built-in hydraulics that this tractor apparently has never had?
Or would it be better to just leave it empty?
It has the dip-stick on the left side, but it appears to be bone-dry in there like it has never been filled - which I suppose could make sense as long as any bearings for the shaft between the transmission and the rear differential housing are lubricated from the transmission and rear diff sides rather than depending upon there being hydraulic fluid in that reservoir in between.

But wanted to ask you folks who know way more about these tractors than I do.

I have read that some folks have taken to using "universal tractor fluid" in all three (trans, hydraulic reservoir, and rear diff) to avoid any problems with mixing of hydraulic fluid with the gear lube in the case that a seal between the different areas fails, but in the case of my tractor, if the hydraulic reservoir should have something in it, I would probably just go with the same gear lube as the trans and diff since there doesn't seem to be any "built-in" hydraulics on this tractor.

Thanks!

I have wonderd if there is orings under the plate on front of transmission. If not oil would not stay in. weather dry or wet condensation is going to happen.

Hi Folks, I just got a 1964 Ford 2000 Industrial tractor. It has the 4 cylinder gas engine and 4-speed transmission.
It has no PTO and no 3-point hitch - as delivered from the factory I'm told - apparently meant just as a loader/backhoe tractor - which is fine for me - I just need a loader that has more lift capacity than my little IH 1050 loader on a Cub LoBoy 185 (500 lbs max lift including the 150 lb bucket...).
It has a loader mounted on it (I believe a model 724) with an add-on high-volume hydraulic pump mounted on the front and powered by a coupler and shaft from the front of the engine - the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the loader is in the frame of the loader.

So, my question is this - Is there any reason that I should put hydraulic fluid, or any other fluid (gear lube to match the trans and diff) in the hydraulic reservoir under the seat that is supposed to be for the "factory"/built-in hydraulics that this tractor apparently has never had?
It has the dip-stick on the left side, but it appears to be bone-dry in there like it has never been filled - which I suppose could make sense as long as any bearings for the shaft between the transmission and the rear differential housing are lubricated from the transmission and rear diff sides rather than depending upon there being hydraulic fluid in that reservoir in between.

I have read that some folks have taken to using "universal tractor fluid" in all three (trans, hydraulic reservoir, and rear diff) to avoid any problems with mixing of hydraulic fluid with the gear lube in the case that a seal between the different areas fails, but in the case of my tractor, if the hydraulic reservoir should have something in it, I would probably just go with the same gear lube as the trans and diff since there doesn't seem to be any "built-in" hydraulics on this tractor.

Thanks!
No real need as inside of castings are Glyptol coated to prevent rust.

That said, intercompartment seals usually leak allowing oils to migrate between compartments.

Furthermore, compartment likely has significant water therein from condensation. Suggest removing drain plug to see what comes out.

I have a 1821 that I put old oil in there just for weight and I didn't have any other containers to put the oil in at the time. lol

• Haha
Reactions: HFJ
No real need as inside of castings are Glyptol coated to prevent rust.

That said, intercompartment seals usually leak allowing oils to migrate between compartments.

Furthermore, compartment likely has significant water therein from condensation. Suggest removing drain plug to see what comes out.
Yes, I do plan on pulling the plug to see what if anything is in there - nothing showing on the dip-stick - I'll pull the plug and check it when I replace the gear lube in the trans and rear diff - could be interesting.

Verify that it has no hydraulic pump.
No "standard" hydraulic pump - at the back of the motor on the right side it just has what looks like the drive-gear end of a round piston type hydraulic pump housing in order to attach and drive the proofmeter/tachometer cable, but there's a good-sized space betwen that and the crankcase oil dipstick where the hydraulic pump housing would normally extend to.

Thanks!
The light industrial 4000 my son had was equipped the same - no pto or 3 point. The hydraulic sump was empty.

No "standard" hydraulic pump - at the back of the motor on the right side it just has what looks like the drive-gear end of a round piston type hydraulic pump housing in order to attach and drive the proofmeter/tachometer cable, but there's a good-sized space betwen that and the crankcase oil dipstick where the hydraulic pump housing would normally extend to.
That is a proofmeter drive that was a specific part for tractors without the 3 point hydraulics.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back