1974 Ford 2000 Series Tractor - high pressure hydraulic line bracket?

YSoCyrious

New User
Hi everyone!

I have a 1974 Ford 2000 Series Tractor with a reoccurring high pressure line ejection from the pump, under stress.

Previous symptoms: 3-point "hiccups", Poor ability to maintain lift [gradual lowering[ with attached implement (i.e. any weight), draught and speed tuning never seemed to work properly; draught control - seemed to ONLY force the implement to the lowest possible range; speed tuning - straight up did not work.

1st Occurrence: I wasn't entirely sure of the cause. It seemed to happen out of nowhere. I have had and been using the tractor for several years now; and only recently (Past several months) have I been having this issue. As I looked into the issue, it seemed possible that either the pump, or the top lid components, or both were to blame.

WHAT I DID: I completely rebuilt the pump. I ordered a rebuild kit, followed the instructions to the "T". However, I still had suspicions of top lid issues, as the high pressure line blew out of the pump - My thoughts were - something was either clogged; or worse - damaged components. I decided to pull the top lid. Glad I did! The return line has fractured and looked as though it had been bouncing around in there - there were a couple of dings/gouges in the filter, and pipe. The worst was the sludge. I cleaned everything up, brazed (WB5) the pipe back together, added a new filter, and installed with new fluid. Since the air filter had a date on it of 1980-something after the first service I did on it years ago, I had to assume that if that easy service was never done, there's no way someone took the top lid off since then. Ultimately, I cleaned it all up, reinstalled with new gaskets, o-rings, etc; I found that the flow control valve restrictor had a spring that had broken [hence didn't work] and got it working better than when I first got it. The whole thing was smooth, no jitters, stayed where I put it - I thought I was in the clear.

2nd Occurrence - Completely my fault. I accidentally mixed up the direction on one of the metal o-rings that sandwiches the rubber seal of the high pressure line. Diagnosed, and then fixed...

3rd (current) Occurrence - Haven't fixed it yet. As I started researching more about the issue it seems there are various fixes. However, there was an obscure reference to a bracket that holds the high pressure line in place, or in this case... keeps it from popping out. The problem here though is that I can't seem to find this bracket - in posts, pictures, or even parts diagrams. Does anyone have any idea what this bracket looks like? I have checked my tractor, and there doesn't seem to be one on it. What I did find (I assume in its place) is a hose clamp that seems to have busted. YUP! a damned hose clamp, and not a beefy 1 either... not that a beefy one would be able to withstand such pressure; but, it did work for that long...

My hope is that finding this bracket will help with the issue. It does also make me wonder about the pressure relief valve. Now, I know folks have said that no one ever replaces those... I have to assume that if this is true, my problem is simply that the pressure hadn't built up enough to open the valve vs. it was enough to pop the unsecured line.

PICTURES:
#1) Left side of the tractor
#2) Zoomed in on pump
#3) Zoomed in on low pressure bracket
#4 Zoomed in on high and low pressure lines from the right. High pressure line is still out. Low Pressure Line bracket can be seen. Not sure where a high pressure line bracket would even be installed.
#5) View of the High and Low pressure lines from the Left side of the Tractor

So...

1) How do I secure the high pressure line from the pump to the cylinder?

2) If there isn't a part specifically designed for this, what have others done?

3) Dare I say, do I go get a BIGGER hose clamp? 🤣

After-market fixes I'm aware of:
1) Bring it to a shop to have it changed to a flare fitting - honestly this is probably my best option for longevity, but I'm not sure I actually want this thing that long...

Attachments

• Tractor_Left.jpg
    Tractor_Left.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • Pump_zoom_Left.jpg
    Pump_zoom_Left.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • lo pressure bracket.jpg
    lo pressure bracket.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • Hi_Lo_pressure lines_zoom_Right.jpg
    Hi_Lo_pressure lines_zoom_Right.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • Hi Lo_pressure line_zoom_Left.jpg
    Hi Lo_pressure line_zoom_Left.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
You need to replace the nut assembly that holds the pressure tube in the pump. They do not hold up well for being reused.
Sorry, I forgot to add that... I have replaced the nut, the rubber ring, and the two metallic discs (1 copper, 1 steel - I believe), and the O-Ring for the nut...

If replacing the nut didn't help then the tube itself is most likely damaged, either scratched/scored or out-of-round. The pictures aren't the best, but the end of the tube does look a bit scuffed up.

If replacing the nut didn't help then the tube itself is most likely damaged, either scratched/scored or out-of-round. The pictures aren't the best, but the end of the tube does look a bit scuffed up.

I assume this is what you are referring to? Looks like at least 1 gouge longitudinally...

Attachments

• zoomed high pressure lineR.jpg
    zoomed high pressure lineR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • zoomed high pressure line_L.jpg
    zoomed high pressure line_L.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I have cut about 1/4 inch off, smoothed up tube, useing correct new nut put back and they didnt come back with that problem.

Mine was a bit scored from the steel washers. I cleaned up the tube with some fine emery cloth and made sure the washers were flat and smooth. A new rubber ring and it's been good ever since. My tube wasn't as bad as yours but you could try that first. I think the clamp should have a rubber liner around the tube. A strip of inner tube would do it, all the way around, not just over the top.

Mine was a bit scored from the steel washers. I cleaned up the tube with some fine emery cloth and made sure the washers were flat and smooth. A new rubber ring and it's been good ever since. My tube wasn't as bad as yours but you could try that first. I think the clamp should have a rubber liner around the tube. A strip of inner tube would do it, all the way around, not just over the top.
Mike,

Thanks for the post. What is the clamp you are referencing? I'm assuming you aren't referring to the hose clamp.

Gratefully,
Matt

Mike,

Thanks for the post. What is the clamp you are referencing? I'm assuming you aren't referring to the hose clamp.

Gratefully,

Mike,

Gratefully,
Matt
I may have misunderstood you. I was referring to the clamps holding the lines down in pics 3 and 4.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back