2240 Hydraulic Pump Noise

I just ran into this thread, I’m having the same issues as what has been described here, did you ever figure out your issue, I’m about to bite the bullet and install a new pump

Over my many yrs associated with repairing JD hyd systems I've read on numerous occasions of hyd pumps being replaced without performing good hyd diagnostics to determine that the replaced hyd pump was in fact good & not the problem.

That’s my concern, I don’t want to throw a new pump on if I don’t have to. This issues I’m having started after I got done repairing t pro clutch and brake. It didn’t have the issue before. My pump pressure is at 2250

but when I lower the pressure the noise is worse except for when I go to raise the hitch or after I turn the steering wheel. But when I first engage either it makes a loud squawk and then goes quiet until either function stops.
I did notice after I over filled the transmission on purpose that I would not get the buzzing/ Humming sound from the pressure line coming from the pump to the priority valve. But after I dumped the extra oil it returned.
My pto and brake work good but I wonder if I might need to go back in to investigate even though all the noise is coming from the main pump.

If this 1520 was under my supervision I'd operate it until the cause of the noise reared it's ugly head. Noise you hear could be associated with the correct operation of the stroke control valve in the front pump.

I would do that if I was planning on keeping it but I’ll be selling it sooner than later
IMHO you will be wasting time & $$$$ if you continue attempting to eliminate that noise. Do the 3 hyd lines on RH side between frt pump & clutch housing have spacer & hose clamp installed? Loud squawk is caused by the stroke control valve seating therefore stopping frt hyd pump from pumping oil.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-27 100835.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-27 100835.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That may be true, it is driving me wild though because I know it wasn’t there before I repaired the pto clutch and brake.
As for the clamps There is one clamp In place near the front clamping the three lines. And then there is also one clamp on the main pressure line coming back That is located on top of thr brake valve. I have another clamp assembly from a parts tractor I can install between all three of them near the brake valve and I will try that also.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back