4500 rear axle leak

woodbutcher

My 4500 rear axle is leaking pretty badly. Most of the posts in this forum say that it is not practical to break the tractor for anything unless you're going to replace the clutch at the same time. My clutch is fine, but I'm sure losing a lot of hyd/trans. Other than parking on a steep incline to keep the fluid from contact with the leaking seal, does anybody have ideas for slowing the loss?
Butch

Where is the leak? If it's just the boot on the brake actuator rod then it's a fairly simple fix. You simply remove the clevis and snap rings off the rod, chisel the seal out of the housing and then drive a new seal in place.
If the axle seal is leaking then it's a more involved job. You must remove the axle housing, the brakes from the housing then the shaft.... the bearing from the shaft and then repalce the seal. It's one of those things that I wouldn't change for a weep but would for a steady leak that leaves puddles on the wheel in the morning...

Rod

Yep, it's the axle seal. I replaced the brake shaft seal a while back. It looks like a major job, but it loses a lot of fluid. Thanks, Rod.
Butch

It is and it isn't.... It depends on what has to be striped to get the axle housing off. If there's a ROPS or loader frame in the way then it's going to be a major job. If it's clear then it's a matter of removing the lift arm, the brake linkage and the bolts that retain the housing. Lift it off with some fomr of crane, or other lifting device. I used pallet forks because that's what I have. Pull it straight out until the sun shaft clears the differential. The rest is fairly straight forward. You need a good size bearing seperator to pull the bearing off but otherwise it's a straight forward job. It might take the day for someone inexperienced. It might not....
Keep in mind that if this is the left housing then the differential is wanting to chase you out onto the ground when you pull the housing but the right side is easy....

Rod

Yes, this is on the left side. So is there any good way to keep the differential in place and secure? (It sounds like that might be good to know ahead of time. You've already told me a lot more than I knew about the job.)
Butch

If it wants to come out, grab it and set it somewhere clean. If it sits there, leave it. IT may sit on the sun shaft for the right side... or it may not. I don't worry about it one way or the other. Just be aware that it's likely to want to fall out and be prepared.

Rod

rod, where do you split or seperate to remove the rear? At the axle trumpets? or at the backside of the center section?

are these seals accessible from the outside, like from behind the rear wheel / tire?

Thanks in advance...sl

You remove the axle trumpett. The seals on flange axles are not accessable any other way than by removal of the housing, stripping all the necessary parts from the housing and removing the shaft.

Rod

I have a 4500 TLB that is losing fluid thru the right brake rod seal and now has a clunk coming from the left rear wheel. I will be replacing the seal but am concerned with the clunking sound once with each rotation of the wheel .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back