8 volt cub update

grandpa Love

Finally had some time in the barn yesterday. Noticed the battery had a sticker of 6-23 on it. Got out the tester....8.19, hmmm. Hooked up the ground cable and it spun the motor over. Went to work on things then😀. Pulled the spark plugs and squirted some oil in each cylinder, removed the carb and got it soaking. Removed the valve cover and found one sticky valve,got it moving, adjusted them all ,cut a new gasket and closed it up. Next issue,no juice to the coil, chased wires and found one that had pulled out of a crimped on connector on the ceramic resistor. Fixed that and we have spark. Put a brand new Amazon carb on it ,new plugs and tried to fire it up. Didn't want to run. Just happened to feel the battery ground cable,it was blazing HOT. Made a new 2 gauge cable. Tried to run, puffing smoke. Loosen distributor, twist,try, worse 🤬, twist way back the other way,and it's alive and running! Wait ,crap, no oil pressure,cut it off, prime oil pump, fire it up and oil pressure!!Amp gauge in dash shows it's charging,but I hooked up the tester and at idle I get 8.4 rev it way up and I show 8.85- 8.9 Guessing that is good enough?. Cleaned the original carb and installed it, working great.Drained all the fluids,will refill this morning. Also the the carb linkage from the governor has an odd spring running to the dog leg, apparently the governor spring needs swapping. All in all a successful day 😀

Attachments

• 1000016899.jpg
    1000016899.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 62
Finally had some time in the barn yesterday. Noticed the battery had a sticker of 6-23 on it. Got out the tester....8.19, hmmm. Hooked up the ground cable and it spun the motor over. Went to work on things then😀. Pulled the spark plugs and squirted some oil in each cylinder, removed the carb and got it soaking. Removed the valve cover and found one sticky valve,got it moving, adjusted them all ,cut a new gasket and closed it up. Next issue,no juice to the coil, chased wires and found one that had pulled out of a crimped on connector on the ceramic resistor. Fixed that and we have spark. Put a brand new Amazon carb on it ,new plugs and tried to fire it up. Didn't want to run. Just happened to feel the battery ground cable,it was blazing HOT. Made a new 2 gauge cable. Tried to run, puffing smoke. Loosen distributor, twist,try, worse 🤬, twist way back the other way,and it's alive and running! Wait ,crap, no oil pressure,cut it off, prime oil pump, fire it up and oil pressure!!Amp gauge in dash shows it's charging,but I hooked up the tester and at idle I get 8.4 rev it way up and I show 8.85- 8.9 Guessing that is good enough?. Cleaned the original carb and installed it, working great.Drained all the fluids,will refill this morning. Also the the carb linkage from the governor has an odd spring running to the dog leg, apparently the governor spring needs swapping. All in all a successful day 😀
That is great Kevin.

Whatever you do, DO NOT reuse the headgasket!!! Great to get it running.

GREAT save!

An 8 Volt system CAN work!

8.8 to 9.2 I believe is what it should be charging so the regulator might need jazzed up a touch or belt checked or tell him wide open throttle only haha if that's the plan. After having the tender on it for days ours would settle at 8.4 so if he's putzing around the yard he's probably not charging.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back