986 steering hand pump seal change gone wrong

cccranger_1

New User
So, the lower seal was leaking a bit on my sons 986. I removed the steering hand pump and replaced the seal, torquing it to the recommended 16-19 ft lbs. This fixed the leak but something went wrong. If you turn the steering wheel just a small amount and the let it go the wheels continue to turn without the steering wheel moving.

It all appeared to be fairly simple inside and I sure thought I got it back together the way it came apart. I guess I will take it apart again just to check and make sure but I was wondering if there is something I missed or did wrong.

Any ideas what to look for would be appreciated.
thanks

So, the lower seal was leaking a bit on my sons 986. I removed the steering hand pump and replaced the seal, torquing it to the recommended 16-19 ft lbs. This fixed the leak but something went wrong. If you turn the steering wheel just a small amount and the let it go the wheels continue to turn without the steering wheel moving.

It all appeared to be fairly simple inside and I sure thought I got it back together the way it came apart. I guess I will take it apart again just to check and make sure but I was wondering if there is something I missed or did wrong.

thanks
On my 1086, I had my dealer rebuild it while I watched him. He explained to me as he disassembled it that the body, the end cap, and disk that fits between all of this had to be put back timed like it was taken apart. If the end cap bolts were tightened too tight, it would cause the steering wheel to bind up. My guess is one of these components is off register.

thanks
You have the internal splined components assembled "out of time".

A factory service manual will show how to "time" them correctly. There's also a couple of little "leaf springs" that have to be put in place "just right".

OK, thanks for the replies. I do have the factory manual and I will be more careful this time when I take it apart.

This is the reason when people ask about that job I tend to refer them to the timing of the end plate and the seal as a vaccum cleaner belt so as not to confuse with the top seal under the steering wheel. I get flamed for the vaccum cleaner belt reference but don't care. Yes some of those hand pumps need to be timed or they will act up like that. Yours is off time a bit. Be careful if you get it off more it could cause injury when it spins by itself right off the start.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back