Brake fluid - need to change?

Tom R S

I've been told that I should have my brake fluid changed out on my 2014 F150.
I have 120k miles on it.

Is this really necessary. I think it's a waste of money. Am I wrong?

I have 120k miles on it.

I took my 06 Impala for an oil change. They said I should change one of the power steering lines as it fails around 50,000 miles sometimes. I didn't and car had the same line on it when I sold it at 185,000. Dealers like to sell you parts and service.

Is this statement in red below referring to something I did or said or does it appear to everyone using this website.
I'm ashing this because this is the first time I have said anything here sense the new site has started.
Thanks metal Man

Is this statement in red below referring to something I did or said or does it appear to everyone using this website.
I'm ashing this because this is the first time I have said anything here sense the new site has started.
Thanks metal Man
I thinknits there all the time

I've never gone in and changed the brake fluid without any other purpose, but if I have to replace a caliper, wheel cylinder, or a bad line, I will try to get all the old fluid out and replace with new. Metal Man, I have printing in red also.

Thanks metal Man
Metal Man it is there on every post you look at. This is the time of year folks get “cabin fever” in anticipation of “spring fever.” Key board confrontation can run high during this stretch. About a month or so ago a fair bit of the fore mentioned was going on. The suggestion was made to increase the visibility of the “warning statement” by changing its font (print color) to red. So not to worry, thanks for joining in!
To Tom: With the advent of ABS systems manufacturers increased their vigilance on suggestions of flushing or changing brake fluid. An ABS unit is a fairly expensive replacement part, so manufacturers suggest this as a “maintenance” recommendation. In some cases a capable scan tool has to be connected to the vehicle to operate functions during the flush and bleed to properly complete this service.

Last edited:
Had a caliper stick on my then 15 year old F250. When I took it off the fluid that drained was absolutely black. A few months later another caliper froze....more black fluid.

After knocking out the pistons I found the caliper bores m corroded and had "mud" at the bottom.

Obviously the fluid mwas contaminated with water and rust. So I flushed the entire system until the fluid ran clear, then replaced the other two calipers. Have had no brake hydraulic problems in the 8 years since...

It's a good idea as long as they aren't gouging on labor, fluid is cheap. It's also a good reminder as I'm going to do the rear brakes on my '16 F350 soon which will include caliper and hose replacement so a good time to flush the old fluid out at the cost of probably $10 in extra fluid and 15 min of extra time.

An ABS system will increase fluid temperature. Rapid release and reapplication (pulsing) while
maximizing stopping capability will make the brake fluid hotter and break down faster, color
change of fluid is big hint. Greater heating and cooling of components draws moisture through
weak points in system. Replacing fluid is not a big cost for a lot of improvement. If you do it
yourself it's even cheaper. Make sure that you don't run master cylinder too low, special equipment
may be necessary to get brakes functional again. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Thanks metal Man
I think its there all the time

Yep. It's nothing you did. Just a friendly reminder to everyone to follow the rules and keep it clean.

I have 120k miles on it.

Yes, good idea.

Unless your vehicle has new, synthetic brake fluid (it doesn't) the brake fluid is hydroscopic and will attract water which will collect in the lowest point of the system, e.g., calipers and wheel cylinders.

I had the brake fluid in my 2017 vehicle changed a couple of years ago.

No, I did not say that it is "necessary."

I have 120k miles on it.

To properly flush the system you will need a scan tool with bidirectional controls to activate the ABS pump. To do the job as it should be done you will need a Brake fluid flush machine. There are a few vacuum and low pressure systems on the market they do not do a good job at this other than easy on the pocketbook. I am a firm believer in flushing brake fluid along with that tooled up well to perform the job.
Yes, good idea.

Unless your vehicle has new, synthetic brake fluid (it doesn't) the brake fluid is hydroscopic and will attract water which will collect in the lowest point of the system, e.g., calipers and wheel cylinders.

I had the brake fluid in my 2017 vehicle changed a couple of years ago.

No, I did not say that it is "necessary."
hydroscopic = the fluid will mix with water, dot5 synthetic does not so the issue will be as you stated water will collect in spots of the brake system. Either way water is an issue. On the black fluid its a reaction to metal most all the time I see this is when aluminum calipers are used.

Back to hydroscopic what's the best thing to clean brake parts when soaked/covered with brake fluid. Water it is noting will match it.

I flush for all the right reasons its part of the gig... To properly flush the system you will need a scan tool with bidirectional controls to activate the ABS pump/valves. To do the job as it should be done you will need a Brake fluid flush machine. There are a few vacuum and low pressure systems on the market; they do not do a good job at this other than being easy on the pocketbook. I am a firm believer in flushing brake fluid along with that tooled up well to perform the job.

brake flush machine.jpg

There seems to be some confusion on couple of posts regarding silicone DOT 5 and DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid. One is hydroscopic and one is not, not good to mix them. I would not use DOT 5 in ABS with out some research. I have used DOT 5 for 40 years in 3 vehicles but I do change
fluid every few years.

The brand of vehicles that I work on does not have a recommended service interval for brake fluid but as a dealership we recommend a flush every 60k. I think a lot of brake fluid problems are driving condition related. We very seldom see brake system problems due to fluid contamination. But it is a good idea to change it since the common fluids (dot 3 and 4) are hygroscopic. And yes, hygroscopic, with a "g", not a "d", means water absorbing.

At 120K it's probably ready for new calipers at the next brake job. You'll get most, but not all, of the old brake fluid out when you bleed the brakes after replacing all four calipers.

I have 120k miles on it.

Some manufacturers recommend brake fluid flushing at specified intervals. After working on a lot of older cars and draining out fluid that looks like bean soup, I'm a believer in flushing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back